BabsV

gluten-free In Greece?

Rate this topic

We'd planned a trip to Greece prior to my diagnosis...we don't want to cancel it but the thought of travel somewhat terrifies me at this point. I'm almost 8 weeks into the gluten-free diet, and I have just started to feel much much better (the last week has been amazing -- less pain, fatigue, brain fog, etc.)

We'd be staying in an apartment in Athens for a week so cooking would be totally doable. I figured I'd bring a selection of foods that I know are safe to get me through at least the first couple of days.

Has anyone played tourist in Athens? Any recommendations?

I loved Athens. Of course, it was pre-gluten-free.

Baklava is out, fried street pastries are out.

Lots of meat on a stick available. Stuffed tomatoes (rice, herbs) are fabulous. I was there on winter and fresh tangerines were on every corner - I ate them by the bagfull. Some Break Bars are supposed to be gluten-free and they will be everywhere.

Buy a comfortable backpack and take stuff with you around town. Athens is a walking city and you'll see alot of tourists with packs -you'll fit right in.

Wish i had more hints but its been too long and gluten-free wasnt an issue then.

Enjoy!

Thanks. I've poked around an apparently gluten-free items are available at health food stores and pharmacies. Turns out there's a supermarket right by the flat we'll be in. This should be do-able!