This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Have Gluten Intolerance And Ibs :(

BarbieGirl

BarbieGirl Newbie

I've been sick the past three years and last year my mom came to the conclusion she has gluten intolerance, on top of her IBS. I'm only fifteen now and I've decided that what I have is likely gluten intolerance and IBS. I've found unsafe food lists for both of those and through trial and error, the hard way, figured out that all ingredients/foods on those lists make me sick. About twenty minutes after I consume the food. I'm sick of going to school looking like I'm five months pregnant and feeling dizzy and tired. I just want to feel good. Someone in my family's birthday is coming up and I'm not going to eat her birthday cake, instead I'm making these special magic square bars so that I don't bother anyone not eating a desert, and I'll get to celebrate too. My mom pressures me to cheat, and my family thinks that part of it is all in my head. Even though my dad and family have seen my stomach swell up and get hard and see me in pain. I'm obviously not getting support from my family, they all want me and my mom to see a doctor except my mom, she's afraid something else is wrong with her (ie. colon cancer). You can't test for intolerances or IBS I guess, so it'd be pretty pointless. I know what makes me sick, so I won't eat it...simple, right?

Anyways, any recipies or support would be appreciated and make me very happy. Basically I can't have processed foods or grains. I'm sick of guessing what I can and can't eat, so I'll stick with meat, some dairy and produce. Please help me.. I can't do this by myself anymore :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Don't be foolish with your life and see a GI ASAP... You & your Mom need medical advice.. The gluten may be causing your Mom to act foolishly with her future by not being diagnosed... One's chance of cancer rises about 25% with Celiac & consuming gluten...

Newbee Contributor

Best to see a good doctor who will give you some tests. They really should be ordering some tests before they tell you IBS. I was told I had IBS years ago but they didn't test for anything. Years later I asked for the celiac blood test (thinking I didn't have it of course but wanting to rule it out) and I came out positive with lots of damage showing up when they finally did the biopsy. And even if they want to order a seemingly scary test like a colonoscopy or endoscope, turns out these really are not as bad as they seem. I am the BIGGEST fraidy cat of anything like that but I have to admit the endoscope I had did not hurt or anything. I've heard colonoscopy is the same. You'll feel a lot better about things if you have someone run tests and tell you your fine. Then you will know for sure. Good luck.

GFinDC Veteran

Just remember you need to keep eating gluten until the tests are complete. Otherwise they are much less reliable.

The blood antibody tests are simple and you get results in couple weeks generally. The endoscopy is not always needed. If you have symptoms and they improve going gluten-free then an endoscopy seems pointless IMHO.

Your mom could get the antibody tests too. She might find her life much more pleasant on gluten-free if she is celiac.

You have the right idea about eating gluten-free. Avoiding the processed foods is a good start.

BarbieGirl Newbie

My mom kinda messed up her intestines before all this stuff came up for her...she ate protein bars (I warned her the label said do not consume so much or else it causes digestion issues), and carbonated flavored water, and that was about all she ate. Now she eats greek yogurt with stevia and cinnamon and raspberries, with water with lemon juice and stevia in it. She cheats all the time anyways, she'll binge of junk food and eat leftovers all the time. She's always sick. Like I said, I'm fifteen and can't just go to the doctor?

Plus my dad just got laid off so we have no money and insurance is stopping anyways.

Thanks for your advice though :)

GFinDC Veteran

Malabsorption can cause cravings. So can gluten withdrawal. If your body isn't absorbing vitamins and minerals properly, then it gets deficient and you can get cravings for foods. That might be happening to your mom. After going gluten-free and healing the gut, those minerals and vitamins can be absorbed again, and the cravings should subside.

You don't have to get tested to follow the gluten-free diet. People don't need a doctors permission to choose what they will eat. Some people now a days go gluten-free just because it is a healthy diet. Eating whole foods is not more expensive than eating processed foods either, it is cheaper. Plus if you eat whole foods you aren't getting all the chemical preservatives and food colorings etc that they add to processed foods. Just that change can be helpful if you are sensitive to those things.

Kelby Rookie

I agree, the safest thing you can do in this situation is see a doctor.

I am not going to lie, but even when the slightest thing is bothering me, I take the time to go and see a doctor. I am not sure if this is more difficult in the US because of the private system, but I think in this situation, money shouldnt be an issue any ways.

Not to mention, you could be totally off on your guess about gluten, and it could be any number of different allergens causing you grief. The only way you are going to know for sure is to see a doctor.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived