Mom of Boys

I Have A Question About Hypothyroidism - Hashimotos

Rate this topic

I'm curious if I am truly gluten intolerant if at some point the docs will have to adjust my thyroid medication? I mean, if gluten is why I have hashimotos, will my thyroid become stronger and work better once I am off of gluten for awhile? This would be the only proof I personally would need that I am indeed gluten intolerant. And honestly, I don't give a care who else believes me, as long as I believe it, 100 percent.

Anyone out there with hypothyroidism that improved after being gluten free for awhile? If so, how long did it take before you noticed changes? I can tell when my thyroid meds are low and I need an increase. My body gets weak and I sleep too much, and my face gets a little numb... I call it marshmallow face.

I hate to tell you this my Hashi's antibodies have steadily climbed and my thyroid progressively gotten worse. I've been gluten-free for six years now.

While my antibodies are no longer elevated, I have not had any improvement in my thyroid function. I was diagnosed with hashi's in 2000(was hypo in 1999 but wasn't put on meds/tested for hashi till 2000) and wan't diagnosed with celiac until fall 2008. Too many years went by and 5 pregnancies(I had 3 miscarriages and have 2 sons) that only made it worse plus the years undiagnosed celiac. The only benefit I got was six months after I went gluten free I was able to lower my one med because I was absorbing it better. I just recently had my dosage increased again.

I hate to tell you this my Hashi's antibodies have steadily climbed and my thyroid progressively gotten worse. I've been gluten-free for six years now.

Aww shoot! Well I need to get the biopsy done really soon. I need some evidence, this would go a long way to help family and friends understand that it's serious and not just a silly whim.