This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Oahu

divamomma

divamomma Enthusiast

Hi, I am trying to find good gluten free restaurants in or around Honolulu/Waikiki. We are planning a trip to Hawaii sometime this year. I have found lots of old threads on here but I am looking for some up to date info. I am sure a lot has changed since 2005-2008 (when a lot of these threads were from). So any good places please share! My daughter is celiac so places that are semi kid friendly are best.

Also, any hotel recommendations? Good OR bad ones I should know about?

Any other tips for a first time family trip to hawaii would be appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Hi, I am trying to find good gluten free restaurants in or around Honolulu/Waikiki. We are planning a trip to Hawaii sometime this year. I have found lots of old threads on here but I am looking for some up to date info. I am sure a lot has changed since 2005-2008 (when a lot of these threads were from). So any good places please share! My daughter is celiac so places that are semi kid friendly are best.

I don't know restaurants in the Honolulu/Waikiki area, because I haven't been there since I was diagnosed in 2004. However, I have been to Maui at least 4 times (2-3 week stays each time) since I began abstaining from gluten and my other 6 delayed reaction (IgG mediated) allergens. I've eaten in many different Maui restaurants and never had any accidental contamination. Nevertheless, I always talk to the manager and/or chef at any new (to me) restaurant about my 7 food restrictions and their menu. I always carry my (self-made and laminated) allergy alert card. So I give that to the manager and/or chef so that he/she can make a copy of my list of allergens. After I eat once at each restaurant, they usually have a record of me and my allergens (as well as my husband and his 9 allergens). Better restaurants in Maui are very familiar with allergy and other health restrictions and can very creatively make their entrees safe upon request. I don't know whether that's true in Honolulu, but I suspect you can talk to restaurant managers and/or chegs about gluten restriction and your options with their menu and do just fine.

I would not recommend any of the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" chain restaurants, because they don't offer gluten free buns. You just get a hamburger patty on lettuce. With my other 6 allergies, I have almost no choices there.

kenlove Rising Star

Most chefs are a lot more aware now than they were a few years ago.

Down to Earth Health Food store has a greta buffet although not all gluten-free they do have a lot of gluten-free goods.

For restaurants, just call the chef first.

12th Ave Grill -- Chef Kevin Haney

Town - Chef Ed Kenny

are two places I go when there and they wil make sure things are done right.

I live in Kona and work with the Univ so its generally once a month.

Chef Mavro @Mavros is great but a bit expensive. La Mer in Halekulani is very good but also pricy. I forget he place name but a more touristy restaurant is the one that revolves -- maybe top of Waikiki or something like that on Kalakaua Ave. Have been there a few times too and never had a problem.

Ohter than visiting the Big island instead of honolulu I cant think of other places but probably will.

good luck and have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
granolagal Apprentice

I'm going to Oahu soon too and am worried about what to eat. My husband and I have rented a condo with a kitchenette and plan to buy our own food and cook at "home". However I hope we'll be able to go out to eat more than a few times, so I'm interested to read replies to this post as well! :)

• 2 weeks later...
CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

I've been gluten-free on Oahu many times. The number one thing is keep in mind that soy sauce is used everywhere and therefore c/c is a real concern.

Awareness is so-so at restaurants, but they're nice about trying to help.

Whole Foods is available in the Kahala area (just outside Waikiki, you'll need a car".

There's also a local chain "Down to Earth" that is a smaller health food chain and there's one close to Waikiki. Good selection of gluten-free stuff.

PF Chang's, Outback and a couple of other chains are available too (good luck with both).

Safeway has some Hormel and other gluten-free brands, but Whole Foods is the go-to place on Oahu.

Hotels are hit/miss as far as c/c and being knowledgeable. The new Disney property on the westside of Oahu WAS very accomodating at their brunch. First stress-free buffet I've had since being diagnosed (they made all of my requests separate and brought out to me).

Best of luck!

PS: Make sure you get to Kailua Beach for the day. Stunning.

granolagal Apprentice

I've been gluten-free on Oahu many times. The number one thing is keep in mind that soy sauce is used everywhere and therefore c/c is a real concern.

Awareness is so-so at restaurants, but they're nice about trying to help.

Whole Foods is available in the Kahala area (just outside Waikiki, you'll need a car".

There's also a local chain "Down to Earth" that is a smaller health food chain and there's one close to Waikiki. Good selection of gluten-free stuff.

PF Chang's, Outback and a couple of other chains are available too (good luck with both).

Safeway has some Hormel and other gluten-free brands, but Whole Foods is the go-to place on Oahu.

Hotels are hit/miss as far as c/c and being knowledgeable. The new Disney property on the westside of Oahu WAS very accomodating at their brunch. First stress-free buffet I've had since being diagnosed (they made all of my requests separate and brought out to me).

Best of luck!

PS: Make sure you get to Kailua Beach for the day. Stunning.

This is awesome!! Thank you!

Archived