Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question #1: I am not sure if this has anything to do with Celiac/gluten but I have noticed in the past year or so that when I brush my teeth, especially first thing in the morning, I have what seems to be a small asthmatic reaction and I think it is to the mint in the toothpaste. My throat gets really irritated and I cough to the point of gagging most mornings. I can't find any gluten in the toothpaste but now wonder if I have a problem with mint? (I could not stand the taste of mint with my last pregnancy and in fact new that I was pregnant before I was tested because I put a mint in my mouth and was immediately sick.) Has anyone else experienced anything like this.

Question # 2: I have an extremely strong sense of smell. Perfumes, food, anything...I can smell it a mile away. When I was pregnant with my youngest daughter, I could smell peoples perfume as they walked down the hall where I worked with my office door closed and would become really ill. If I or my husband cooks something with a strong odor like canning tomatoes, fish, bacon or something like that, the smell keeps me from sleeping and if I do fall asleep, I have horrible nightmares. I am curious to know if there is any correlation between celiac and having a sniffer that works overtime?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can't help with the toothpaste, but I do have a very high sense of smell.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10

Endo biopsy positive 5/10

Gluten free 5/10

They say it's liver congestion...

And liver congestion or impaired function is a byproduct of Celiac/NCGI.

My "scent" issues are improving but it was hideous for a while.

Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

Gluten-Free since 6/2011.

DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND.

Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!