Rate this topic

I'm newly diagnosed and trying to figure all this out without the help of a doctor. (Mine doesn't even know that celiacs can't eat any wheat, so I'll be searching for a new one :.)

How common is lactose intolerance for newly diagnosed patients? Should I just get rid of the wheat for now and see if I feel ok without also getting rid of dairy? That would certainly be easier, but I'm not sure if it's the best way. I've been gluten-free for about 10 days with moderate dairy intake and feel about 60% better already.

The tips of the villi that are damaged by Celiac are the part that digests dairy. Of course, some of your intestines likely are fine. It's not all or nothing for most people. I didn't give up all dairy when I first went gluten-free. I reduced it. I didn't have cheese and crackers for dinner or snack but I had some blue cheese on my salad or 1 slice of cheese on a sandwich. I think I did OK. You will have to judge your own body.

When I was lactose intolerant I was still able to eat yogurt, and cheese, even sour cream. I just could not get anywhere near milk, cream, ice cream or frozen yogurt (not cultured). The other dairy products are made with cultures or enzymes that digest most of the lactose and some lucky people like me can tolerate the small amount of lactose that is left.

I gave up all dairy for several months. I'm 9 months gluten-free and at this point have some hard cheese occasionally (just a little bit) but when I tried yogurt about a month ago it wasn't pretty. Never been a milk fan so that isn't a problem. I was in Italy at the end of February and ate a lot of gelato; it didn't seem to give me any trouble but I haven't tried ice cream. I can tolerate foods that include milk or lactose as an ingredient.