This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Numb Hands From A gluten-free Diet? Or Is It A Symptom?

LundqvistSaves

LundqvistSaves Rookie

Hi all-

Been sick for a year now, gained 30lbs, heatburn, bloating 24/7, the works. Despite stumping two well-regarded gastros and enduring all procedures, they still can't figure me out. So I started going strictly gluten free 2 weeks ago.

A week in, I noticed a weird rash on my finger. Eventually went away the very next day. My stomach pain is still constant, everyday bloating and upper GI pain. Taking nexium right now. But the weirdest thing was I noticed my hands were a little numb. It started with my right pinky and ring finger getting numb and tingly on memorial day, since then it comes back from time to time, on my left hand now also. This has all never happened to me before (25 year old male in otherwise good health).

I looked it up on the forum and it seems like this is a common symptom for celiacs, but as I read more it looks like people were saying it was a reaction to a lack of nutrients (like B12) simply from a gluten free diet. I'm confused -- is it a sign that I am gluten intolerant, or is it just my body reacting from the diet that I'm on regardless of if I am a celiac or not? If anything, I was hoping it would be an indicator that I do, in fact, have some gluten allergy.

It's also weird how random my symptoms come on, including the numbness. One would think they flare up because I'm ingesting gluten, but I'm 99% certain that I am absolutely not taking in any gluten from anywhere. I'm on my third week, and my stomach is still a painful mess, but I'm hoping this works. The doctor said I can do a celiac sprue blood test, but doing that requires me to abandon all my progress already.

Anyone with any experience? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

If you are already gluten free, don't bother going for a blood test.

Having a B12 defiency can be very common. Most gluten containing processed foods are fortified to have more vitamins and minerals. (most gluten free procesed products are not..Yet) The point is somehow your are not consuming enough or your gut is not absorbing enough. There is also a condition, Pernicious anemia, that is associated with Celiac. Very common for Celiacs to have Pernicious Anemia. The damaged gut lining does not have the intrinsic factor to process vitamin B12. So it would be safe for you to supplement vitamin B12, because there is no known toxic level for a body (it will be flushed out of your system before it reaches a toxic level).

Some vitamin and nutrient supplements need to be monitored closely by a doctor. ;)

frieze Community Regular

do you have any neck/shoulder problems, because it sounds more like TOS then carpal tunnel.

LundqvistSaves Rookie

do you have any neck/shoulder problems, because it sounds more like TOS then carpal tunnel.

I don't, it just seems to be some numbness in my hands now and again. No pain or anything like that.

LundqvistSaves Rookie

Having a B12 defiency can be very common. Most gluten containing processed foods are fortified to have more vitamins and minerals. (most gluten free procesed products are not..Yet) The point is somehow your are not consuming enough or your gut is not absorbing enough. There is also a condition, Pernicious anemia, that is associated with Celiac. Very common for Celiacs to have Pernicious Anemia. The damaged gut lining does not have the intrinsic factor to process vitamin B12. So it would be safe for you to supplement vitamin B12, because there is no known toxic level for a body (it will be flushed out of your system before it reaches a toxic level).

Some vitamin and nutrient supplements need to be monitored closely by a doctor. ;)

Thank you for all of that great info. So basically, having that symptom is not always a deciding factor of a gluten allergy. I have a few symptoms and was hoping this would be the tell-all, but thanks for clarifying. ANy recommendations of how much B12 to take daily to start out with?

LundqvistSaves Rookie

Thank you for all of that great info. So basically, having that symptom is not always a deciding factor of a gluten allergy. I have a few symptoms and was hoping this would be the tell-all, but thanks for clarifying. ANy recommendations of how much B12 to take daily to start out with?

mommida Enthusiast

Celiac/gluten sensitivity/intolerance and DH can damage the gut lining and there is a known connection to Pernicious anemia. If you are having and issue with B12 being absorbed it could be a side affect from a gluten issue.

It would be best to get medical testing to see if and how low your B12 level is. The doctor can give you an injection. Sublingual B12 has shown to be as effective. If your body doesn't need the B12 you would just pass it out of your system. High amounts could cause the "D".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LundqvistSaves Rookie

Celiac/gluten sensitivity/intolerance and DH can damage the gut lining and there is a known connection to Pernicious anemia. If you are having and issue with B12 being absorbed it could be a side affect from a gluten issue.

It would be best to get medical testing to see if and how low your B12 level is. The doctor can give you an injection. Sublingual B12 has shown to be as effective. If your body doesn't need the B12 you would just pass it out of your system. High amounts could cause the "D".

Thanks for your reply. I've only been gluten free for two and a half weeks, so I'm not certain if that's enough time for a gluten-free diet alone to cause any B12 deficiencies. Also taking a gluten-free daily multivitamin. Was hoping for the possibility that a long-time misdiagnosis of a gluten allergy or intolerance would be the culprit, thus my other symptoms would finally have an explanation as well.

Thanks for your help!

Archived