shellb65

When Will Symptoms Disappear?

Rate this topic

Im 3 1/2 weeks gluten-free. The burning I'm my stomach and under my right rib is finally gone but I'm still having some pain in my back (indigestion?). When can I expect to feel normal again? Ive heard 3 months and I've heard it may take an entire year? Anyone else have upper back pain from heartburn or indigestion?

Im 3 1/2 weeks gluten-free. The burning I'm my stomach and under my right rib is finally gone but I'm still having some pain in my back (indigestion?). When can I expect to feel normal again? Ive heard 3 months and I've heard it may take an entire year? Anyone else have upper back pain from heartburn or indigestion?

Welcome! That's a good question that unfortunately there is no hard and fast answer to. At 3.5 weeks your body is still adjusting to gluten free, some people heal quicker than others, it depends on how long you have gone without diagnosis. Your body has to work to undo all of the damage incurred, and recovery can be a slow process, some say years. I,myself am over a year gluten-free and feeling pretty good but not quite there yet! I do wonder, given your right upper quadrant pain, do you still have your gallbladder? Those little suckers can be troublesome! Good luck to you!! :)

Thank you for your reply. I had my gallbladder removed many years ago and last time we checked liver and pancreas function were normal. I'm not sure what is in that area that could be bothering me. I'm seeing my doc today. Hopefully he can figure it out.

I had what you describe for several months maybe 6 mos after going gluten free. My guess is the throbbing pain in my right back was duodenitis? I never got an answer from any doctors about it but I assume inflammation in the intestine. For me it was very uncomfortable because I sleep on my right side and it felt like something was always "pulling" on my gut there.. and it went to the back.

3.5 weeks very very early in your healing process. I am 2 years out but first year was just long haul..... hang in there though it will get better. I assume you had endoscopy. Did you find out what level of celiac damage you had? ie marsh level I II III

I have been gluten-free since April and I am now having more good days than bad. I believe I was glutoned on vacation a couple weeks ago and have developed dh but the nausea and headaches are greatly improved and the brain fog seems to be lifting. Hang in there... I was disappointed when I wasn't seeing immediate improvements but I can now tell a marked change and hoping for even more in the next few months.