This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Intolerance And Candida

Aetheana

Aetheana Newbie

I just wanted to share with everyone my experiences.

I was never officially diagnosed with gluten intolerance, but after a mini gluten challenge, i now know myself to be gluten intolerant. What i was officially diagnosed with via an antibody test was systemic candida. Its a yeast overgrowth in the gut and eventaully into the blood stream.

This is my theory, see if it makes sense. i think ive been gluten intolerant for a long while, though un-knowing (maybe triggered by knee surgery like my immune system went into overdrive because i have bolts in my knee). then i think i got the leaky gut issue which allowed candida to overgrow and get into my blood stream.

The point is that i am gluten free and now on an anti-candida diet.

:rolleyes: Im doing really great! :rolleyes:

gluten free isnt that big of an issue, but the anti-candida diet is a giant pain in the arse! no cheese, no sugar, no vinegar, etc and so forth. its not exactly SCD, but probably close. im still trying to find what works with my body.

i wonder if a lot of people that are celiacs actually have a candida problem as well, maybe undiagnosed, though. seems that leaky gut is talked about a lot, but not candida.

Now im going on a cruise for my honeymoon next week and lets see how good on my diet i can be. im planning on being 100% because of how much better i feel, but hidden gluten might be a problem!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Who diagnosed you with systemic candida? An alternative doctor? I dont believe in the "systemic" theory (although I did at one time). There is no scientific evidence to back this up. I believe only those with severely compromised immune systems develop systemic candida and at this point they would be hospitilized. Candida antibodies in the bloodstream do NOT mean that candida is actually in your bloodstream.

I have gluten intolerance, candida overgrowth, leaky gut and C. Difficile bacteria overgrowth and even though I was extremely ill from all this I do not believe that candida was in my bloodstream. Probably just about everyone with gluten intolerance has leaky gut and a candida overgrowth at some point...they kind of go hand in hand. Before I had any idea about gluten intolerance or that I had a serious bacteria overgrowth I thought I was dying from systemic candida...the only thing that helped me was diet. I saw an alternative doctor and told her I thought I had systemic candida and she agreed based on symptoms. Well...it wasnt true but the real diagnosis didnt come until later. The antibody bloodtest isnt really proof of anything...candida is natural in all of us and even though it can overgrow it isnt likely to be invading your bloodstream.

I'm glad you're feeling better..I'm just starting out on SCD and it seems to be helping already.

Aetheana Newbie

So the antibodies don't mean its in your blood stream.... Yea, I did get diagnosed by a half traditiona/half homeopathic doctor.

I didn't realize that.

Hmm.. What's the point of all the antifungal junk I'm taking then?

You seem to think its just gluten intolerance. Maybe after I do my anti-candida diet for awhile, I'll be able to go back to eating certain things like sugar. That would be the best.

How did you find out about C. Diff? I've seen you post about it before (on a couple boards, actually! :D ) and I don't know much about it.

Figuring out what's going on in the body is really hard. The biggest reason I thought the candida was in my blood stream was because I also have fibromyalgia. I've been reading some things that suggest some think that fibromyalgia is like having candida in muscle tissue. Though, for what its worth, a LOT of candida websites seem to be hardcore propaganda for their own products.

I do hope that someday, though, I'll be able to eat sweet things again!

chrissy Collaborator

i'm a little up in the air about the whole candida issue. i also have fibromyalgia as do two of my sisters and my mother. one of my sisters has tried MANY "alternative" things to treat her headaches, backaches, etc.(eventually diagnosed with fibro) all 3 of us (sisters) have been to a doctor (a regular MD) who specializes in candida. it didn't help me or my other sister, but it did help the "alternative" sister a fair amount. (ok, i did notice that my gastro system felt more "at peace"---for lack of a better description, and i lost the last 5 baby pounds i was carrying in a week. but, i was not eating the foods i was told i was sensitive to, (including wheat) and i was not eating anything with yeast). more recently, my alternative sister went to someone (not an MD) who specialized in a program for treating fibro. she put my sister on a cleansing program and also a diet and herbs directed at eliminating fibro and candidia. she was able to get off her prescription pain meds and has really improved---but not pain free. so......she really seems to believe in the candidia thing. two of my children have had fungal infections in their esophagus-------which alot of docs think is uncommon----it's not, if you have a chronic condition, such as reflux. i also had a raging case of breast yeast while i was nursing my baby (one of the kids with it in her esophagus) so i know yeast ends up in strange places. i guess i am rambling on and on.........if going gluten free and eliminating yeast makes you feel better, than that is all that areally matters.

i also have heard that candida can cause gluten intolerance, (not the celiac kind). there is an article somewhere here on celiac.com that talks about candida possible triggering celiac disease. so there you have it----many different scenarios!

christine

key Contributor

BEfore going gluten free I had had vaginal candida almost every month or more for like six years. Haven't had a yeast infections since. I don't follow any other candida diets. SO for me, I definitely think it had something to do with a lowered immune system maybe from celiac.

Monica

P.S. It has been almost a year since going gluten free and haven't had a yeast infection once.

Monica

Aetheana Newbie

Just a note about the fibromyalgia...

I feel really really better when I am on magnesium and malic acid. That might be something for you and yours to try to feel better. My back is a LOT better when i take it.

This is what Im taking 2 2x a day: Open Original Shared Link

Sometimes I get frustrated that everything seems related, but its not clear where the beginning and the end are. i know you have to treat everything at the same time and cant knock them down one by one, but i just feel like im chasing my tail! its all about chicken and the egg!

Yes, the point is that i do feel tons and tons better and i will keep eating this way as long as i am feeling good. its just really restrictive way of eating.

Archived