- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free French Recipes
- Monte Cristo Sandwiches (Gluten-Free)
Monte Cristo Sandwiches (Gluten-Free)
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
Gluten-Free Monte Cristo Sandwich (photo coutesy of kimberlykv)
Traditionally a French recipe, this gluten-free recipe can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a finger food for any event. The yummy possibilities are endless. Baking time is 30 minutes, but preparation time is very minimal, and the results are so worth it!
- 2 cups gluten-free pancake mix
- ½ cup butter
- 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Milk
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese - shredded
- 12 slices gluten-free ham - thinly sliced
- 12 slices gluten-free turkey - thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup strawberry fruit spread (or fruit spread of your choice)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar - to sprinkle on top
- Lightly grease an 8-by-8-inch square baking dish.
- Mix the pancake mix and the butter with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, add the milk, and stir with a fork.
- Put half the mixture in the bottom of your baking pan, then sprinkle on 1 cup mozzarella, 1/2 of the thinly sliced ham, then 1/2 of the thinly sliced turkey.
- Spread strawberry fruit spread on top spreading to within 1/2 inch of the edge, then layer the last half of the ham, then the last half of the turkey, then sprinkle on 1 cup mozzarella.
- Spread the rest of the baking mix on top, and bake for 30 minutes.
- When nicely browned remove from the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Cut into wedges and enjoy.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).