I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup butter or butter substitute
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- vegetable or olive oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Prepare to fry the churros by heating oil in a pan (1 to 1&½ inches) to 360 degrees F.
- To make churro dough, heat water, margarine and salt to rolling boil in 3-quart saucepan; stir in flour.
- Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Beat eggs all at once; continue beating until smooth and then add to saucepan while stirring
- Spoon mixture into cake decorators' tube with large star tip ( the kind use to decorate cakes).
- Squeeze 4-inch strips of dough into hot oil.
- Fry 3 or 4 strips at a time until golden brown, turning once, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels. (Mix Sugar and the optional cinnamon); roll churros in sugar or put churros and sugar mix in medium sterile paper bag and shake.
Chocolate Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 ounces gluten-free dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups milk or milk substitute
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot
- 4 Tablespoon sugar
- Place the chocolate and half the milk in a pan and heat, stirring until the chocolate has melted.
- Dissolve the arrowroot in the remaining milk and whisk into the chocolate with the sugar.
- Cook on low heat, whisking constantly, until the chocolate thickens, about five minutes.
- Add extra arrowroot if it doesn't start to thicken after 5 minutes.
- Remove and whisk smooth.
- Pour and server in cups or bowls for dunking churros.
- Do not pour over churros, but use the mix for dunking churros.
- Serve warm.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).