- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Cookie Recipes
- Quick Cranberry Coconut Cookies (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Quick Cranberry Coconut Cookies (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
The finished quick cranberry coconut cookies. Photo: CC-veganbaking
Using a pre-made baking mix can often be hit or miss. Truly making them your own comes with the personal ingredients you add. Thick coconut shavings give these cookies phenomenal texture. The cranberries add a nice layer of sweetness that to try and have just one—even two—of these simple indulgences is near impossible.
3 cups gluten-free baking mix (for these, I like Pamela’s brand)
2 cups sugar
1 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (check for gluten-free)
1 ½ cups dried cranberries
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Pinch of salt
In a medium bowl, combine sugar, butter, orange zest, vanilla and egg.
Slowly add sugar and butter mixture to a larger bowl with baking mix, cinnamon and salt. Gently stir until well-combined. Fold in cranberries and coconut flakes. Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
Preheat over to 350° F and grease or line 2 baking sheets. Roll firmed dough into about 30 1-2-inch balls and align on sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool before serving.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).