1 reply to this topic

#1 harley1200

harley1200

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

I am in the process of figuring this all out. I went on an elimination diet and figured out that gluten was causing a whole spectrum of issues (I think).  My frustration is that when adding things back in, rice is giving me issues. Not the lack of nutrient white rice, but the better for you red and black. When I look at the premade gluten free items, most use rice flour or a rice base. I am doing well using almond or other nut flours, but few commercial things are made with those.

Is it common to be reactive to other grains? I am very lost as I have not been DX by a physician and am only guessing at this point what is happening. Prior to coming here I read scientific journals and medical journals to get a baseline knowledge. I now know "glutens" in various forms are in all grains...so not sure how to figure out which ones my body hates.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hi Harley

Welcome to the forum. Glad you've figured out that gluten is an issue. Have you been tested for Celiac?

Some people do indeed develop problems with other gluten-free grains like rice. It could be a temporary thing while your body is healing. For example, I have trouble digesting the "good" rices, like whole-grain brown rice, etc. And even too much white rice on its own can irritate things sometimes. I figure it's just too much fibre for my system to handle. Of course, that's just my experience.

I'd keep an eye on it (try a food journal if you're not already doing that), or try cutting out rice for a little while and see if it makes a difference.

In any case, even though other grains have their own type of "gluten" it's not the kind that Celiacs/Gluten Intolerant people react to.

Probably others here have better advice.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: