2 replies to this topic

#1 janmar63

janmar63

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

I have been suffering for 7 months with a severe itching/rash issue. I saw my dermatologist beginning 6 months ago. She has not been able to figure out what my issue is. 2 months ago, I began to attempt an elimination diet based on a book I picked up. I noticed improvement after 2 weeks or so. Basically, by playing with my diet, I have come to the conclusion that I am allergic to flour or perhaps celiac. If I don't eat it, I am fine. If I eat flour, within 4 hours, I begin to itch all over my body. I went to see my family doctor today to request that he order the testing for celiac for me. He told me I have to be eating wheat for at least a few straight days for the test to have proper results. I left there determined to get myself back on a diet including wheat. I had bread with dinner and now I can not sleep from all the itching. How can I possibly eat it for several days? I am already miserable!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

Welcome janmar63,   

Go chat with the ladies in the  Dermatitis Herpetiformis section.

They are very knowledgeable. 

http://www.celiac.co...-herpetiformis/

................................................................................................................

Added:

The quick on and off skin response sounds like a wheat allergy.

You might want to be refered to an allergist to be tested to see if you have a wheat allergy

as this would be easier to confirm or eliminate than Dermatitis Herpetiformis testing. 

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

For blood testing, you need to be consuming 1-4 gluten servings (ie. slices of bread) daily for 4-12 weeks, 2 slices of bread / day for 6 or more weeks seems pretty common. If you are already eating bread pretty steadily, you don't need to add on more time, but if you eat "gluten light" or have gone without gluten for a length of time, you should probably do this gluten challenge for a while.

If you have dh at the moment, you might want to see if you can get a skin biopsy (taken from beside the rash I believe). if you get a positive biopsy, it could save you some time and some discomfort if you have to keep eating it.

I agree with Marcus that a wheat allergy could be a factor too.

I hope you figure it out soon.  Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: