arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Only Igg Tests Positive In Iga Sufficient Individuals And Biopsy Outcomes

igg tests

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Positive Biopsy when only IgG + and Patient is IgA Sufficient (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you have a positive biopsy after only testing positive on IgG based tests, and you had a normal total IgA level?

1. Yes (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No (3 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

2 replies to this topic

#1 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

It's my first time making a poll, so hopefully I did it correctly!

ok so I've been thinking lately...

so much of the current literature for celiac testing says that IgG tests are useful in patients who have insufficient IgA levels, but what about those of us who test positive for AGA IgG, DGP IgG and/or TTG IgG and produce sufficient levels of IgA but all of our IgA based tests are negative?  What's up with that  :) 

How many people who only got positives on the IgG based tests, produced enough IgA ended up having a positive biopsy?  If not a positive biopsy, what was your doctor's rationale for that positive IgG result?

Currently according to Dr. Fasano, you can be diagnosed with celiac with the 4/5 rule found on pg. 9 and 10 of this link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....#__ffn_sectitle

4/5 Criteria:

1. Typical symptoms of celiac disease

2. Positivity of serum celiac disease IgA class autoantibodies at high titer

3. HLA-DQ2 and/or HLA-DQ8 genotypes

4. Celiac enteropathy found on small bowel biopsy

5. Response to gluten-free diet

#2 says it has to be IgA antibodies :huh: I know IgA antibodies are primarily found in the GI tract, but IgG antibodies are supposed to be the most abundant in the body, so shouldn't that count for something  :) 

I'm interested to hear others experiences.  Thanks!

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mum in Norway

Mum in Norway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

This is very interesting to me. I only have DGP-IgG positive, and about 300 symptomes of celiac. Waiting for gastro now, don't know how long it will take.

I have been told that the DGP-IgG test is designed to discover partial atrofi-patients, and the IgA is suposed only to be positive when someone has total atrofi. Also, I have been told that DGP IgG is very very spesific for celiac (don't remember exactly, but like 90% or more), unlike the other IgG tests, that are not so spesific.

But I have only been told this by someone who is very up to date on diagnosing celiac, I don't have any good referanses to share, I'm afraid.

When I get sad, I stop beeing sad and be awesome insted.

True story.

#3 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hi Mum,

thanks for the info :)   I hope you get into the gastro very soon!

This is very interesting to me. I only have DGP-IgG positive, and about 300 symptomes of celiac. Waiting for gastro now, don't know how long it will take.

I have been told that the DGP-IgG test is designed to discover partial atrofi-patients, and the IgA is suposed only to be positive when someone has total atrofi. Also, I have been told that DGP IgG is very very spesific for celiac (don't remember exactly, but like 90% or more), unlike the other IgG tests, that are not so spesific.

But I have only been told this by someone who is very up to date on diagnosing celiac, I don't have any good referanses to share, I'm afraid.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: