Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Will Cooking My Own gluten-free Food In My Friend's Kitchen Make Me Sick?

cross contamination french toast sharing utensils

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 NoGrainNoPain

NoGrainNoPain

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

My friend invited me over for breakfast, but completely forgot about my diet and was making French Toast. No matter, I brought gluten-free pancake mix and breakfast sausages. Is making my own gluten free food in a french toast environment enough to make me sick? We did share a spatula that was supposedly washed, but maybe it was just rinsed. I wasn't paying attention at the moment.

Alternatively, is my gluten-free food making me sick? Seems like I do better not eating things labeled "gluten free".

Background: Lactose intolerant at 19. Thought I had leaky gut in my 20's. MD told me I had IBS in my 30's. Had a mysterious problem swallowing this past summer, and pain in my ear. New MD said, I had an ear infection, and my throat was fine. I was also having reflux. Ten days and minus six pounds later. My MD didn't have an answer. I suggested Celiac. My IGA panel was normal, so no scope was warranted. I was on a low gluten diet at the time, mostly because bread and past was making me gag. I have Vit D deficiency (new that) and border line low Iron (MCV). MD suggested a gluten-free diet. I avoided all grains at first, just because I was too sick to cook. I felt great, Eczema went away, Keritosis Pilars got smooth, no digestive symptoms. I ate raw broccoli, carrots and cauliflower for days and didn't have any noticeable gas.  Imagine that! Early on, I ate a handful of goldfish crackers at work by mistake. It seemed like a score, such a giant bag. I grabbed a cup to snack on them later at my desk. Two hours after consumption, I thought I was going to explode. After the following three days of bloat, I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach.

Not sure where to go from here. The diet is a challenge to learn. 

Advice? Thoughts? Comments?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

Did you say something about eating Goldfish crackers?  Were they the gluten-free ones?   You don't say when that happened or how long you have been actually gluten-free.  I think that if you are still accidentally eating gluten, it is too soon to worry about super sensitivity.  Why not give the regular gluten-free diet a proper try first?  Or, if you wish, do just produce and unprocessed meat first for quick healing and then try adding some of those gluten-free processed items.  You need to give the diet time.  If you are gluten intolerant, you need time to heal.  You also need time to learn the diet and stop making mistakes.  I hope you feel better.

#3 felps89

felps89

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:03 AM

yes, if the surface its contaminated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: