4 replies to this topic

#1 a.daniel

a.daniel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Ok, quick overview of myself and my family...

My sister has epilepsy, my brother has down syndrome, my mother has digestive issues, thyroid disease, has had a miscarriage and has mood swings, her mother (my grandmother) has schizophrenia and chronic depression and debilitating arthritis and her brother (my great uncle) has parkinsons.

All of these can be linked to celiac/GI correct?

Now for my symptoms-

I have medication controlled epilepsy, regular pain in my shoulder, hip, knees and wrists and occasionally unexplained upper abdominal pain, heartburn, mild eczema on the back of my arms, constantly battling with cold sores/fever blisters (when I did not just have a cold or fever) and acne, occasional digestive issues(foul odor, inconsistancy), bloating and bad pms symptoms/ irregular cycles and the WORST sugar cravings.

The eczema didn't start until this past year, I've had knee pain since I was 17 from volleyball injuries and knee surgury. I also wasn't eating regularly until this year, I was on a medication called topamax which drastically reduced my appitite, I probably wasn't eating enough of anything to have a problem.

With this kind of family history how likely is it that my mother's side of the family is a carrier of celiac or GI?

I went on the ketogenic diet (high fat mod. protein, low carbs) last week  to see if it may be an alternative to dropping off of my last epilepsy medication, within 4 days my joint pain completely disapperared, acne started clearing up, eczema disappeared, I felt normal. Over this past weekend I skimped on my diet and had wheat twice- a bite of danish and a flour tortilla, By Tuesday my eczema was back, acne on my face, knee pain. I initally thought it was because it also follows along the guidelines of an anti-inflammitory diet, but after running across article after article about celiac and gluten intolerance and these same symptoms I started wondering if that could be it.

I'm back on the keto diet as I just feel better overall when I'm on it.

Thoughts, questions, comments?

I'll be perusing the forum for answers but for those knowledgeable and experienced I'd LOVE to hear from you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Keep eating gluten and get the celiac blood tests. If you stop eating gluten, there is no good test for celiac disease.

http://www.curecelia.../guide/symptoms

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 anand

anand

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

One I out 10 people with Down syndrome are celiac.. I hope ur brother has been tested for celiac or is gluten free....

#4 anand

anand

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

if ur skin rash came on after eating wheat, it sure point to something ....do u have any photograph of ur skin rash ... Maybe u can post it if u have....

#5 a.daniel

a.daniel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

No one in my family has been tested for celiac, I'd like to get tested but can't bring myself to go back to gluten, I feel 100% better while off of it which makes me very unwilling to go back... I may have to do it so my family will take this a little more seriously seeing as my mom has had symptoms for years,

I don't have any pictures but here is a picture from the internet that resembles what it usually looks like, most areas were in circles on the back of my arms, it would look more severe the more I scratched it.

I also have a spot on my upper arm that's lighter in pigmint when I've been in the sun.

iStock_000018576096XSmall.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schizophrenia, depression, epilepsy, down syndrome, parkinsons, eczema

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: