3 replies to this topic

#1 Kias4

Kias4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

What level of ppm do other people find they react to?

Do you react to "gluten-free" <20ppm foods?

What about "certified gluten-free" <10ppm foods?

I believe I reacted to some <20ppm chips last week (I ate a lot of them over three days, unfortunately) and it just seems so crazy to me that such a small amount would cause such a huge reaction.  I did the math, and if I ate the entire bag of chips (which I don't think I did) it would only be just over 5mg of gluten all together over the three days.  I did eat some other gluten-free processed foods over those days (maybe some lunch meat, a tortilla, etc.) and so there may have been even more gluten in there adding to it.  Still, I've heard that 10mg per day is safe for most celiacs, and I can't imagine that I consumed more than 10mg of gluten per day even with all the processed foods.

I realize that there can be other food triggers (and I have discovered that I react to soy), but this was definitely a gluten-type reaction.  Fatigue, brain fog, anxiety, ADD, and horrible intestinal pain and bloating.  And I do realize that whole foods are better and would likely eliminate my issues, but I'm taking this one step at a time and I'm just not at a place where cutting out all processed foods is feasible.  So for now I'm interested in what levels of ppm are safe for other sensitive celiacs.

Thanks for your input!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,002 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

First, I just want to make sure you understand how these ppm tests work. If something tests ok on a <20 ppm test, that does not mean it has 19 parts per million. It could have 0 or 3.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:29 AM

I think that I have reacted to food certified to less than 5 ppm gluten.  It is possible that they contained greater than that due to testing limitations.  It is also possilbe that they contained avenin, which gets me too.  It's also possible that something else was the cause.  It's really hard to know for sure.  There are quite a few celiacs who stick with whole foods.

This reference gives examples of people sensitive to very low levels: http://www.fda.gov/d...h/UCM264152.pdf

It's a long read.

#4 meowndy

meowndy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

for me, the gluten content is almost irrelevant.. if it's derived from a grain, i'm going to react. whether its down to 20ppm or 5ppm, i'll be getting sick no doubt! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: