16 replies to this topic

#16 andyc

andyc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:47 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back and answer your questions about evista, fosamax and malabsorption. The women who gave you your dexa scan was probably referring to people who do not have any malabsorption problems. Since celiac disease is a malabsorption disease as well as a auto immune disease there is the greatest of possibilities that you still have a malabsorption problem. fosamax works in such a way that it breaks the bone down faster so that the bone will rebuild at a faster rate- ithink -if you go on the web an search osteoporosis you will find out how bone is built up. If you are not absorbing the vits and minerals the body cannot build bone the same way as a person who is absorbing. Evista does not work the same way as fosamax and therefore does not have the same problems for us. If you have not been given a 24 hour urine test there is no way to know what is really going on. It measures the amount of calcium in the urine - If most of the calcium is not being used you might have a deficiency. Also - if there is a lot of calcium in the urine it could be caused by secondary hyperparathyrodism ( not absorbing vit d ). You should find yourself a good doctor one who is aware of celiac and the problems we have. Were do you live - it might be worth the trip to see Dr. Green at columbia pres hospital in new york - he is a leading authority on celiac disease and has a staff that will advise you on all of the ins and outs of staying healthy. Most importantly - we are too young to have osteoporosis and if given the wrong course of treatment the effects could be horrible. Please find a doctor that can help you.

Andrea

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 platinumpony49

platinumpony49

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:20 PM

Andy, Just GREAT info!!! Iam so thankful for people like you that help those of us that need such information. I don't know a single person with celiac disease in my area so most of the time I only know what I read. Even the doctors dont seem to know much. I live in Indiana. I will continue to read these boards and whatever else I can find to get the answers. Thank you so very much as well as all the others that responded to this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: