This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did You Find In Recovery That You Had To Eat Small Meals?

Sarah8793

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

I am noticing (gluten free 8 weeks now with a few accidental slips) that when I have a regular or large meal, I get lightheaded or dizzy. If I snack nutritionally all day I never get lightheaded. Could this have to do with celiac disease and recovering? If not then it may be related to my hypoglycemia.

Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Sarah, it probably is both. You've figured out the solution, keep eating small portions of nutritious foods all through the day, nothing wrong with that.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Sarah, it probably is both. You've figured out the solution, keep eating small portions of nutritious foods all through the day, nothing wrong with that.

Yes, this seems to help, but I was hoping that it might be celiac related and thus temporary. Either way, I'm glad I have some way of controlling it. Thanks,

Sarah

Nantzie Collaborator

I had to eat small meals too. I pretty much lost my appetite, and eating too much made me nauseous. I just tried to keep it as nutritious as I could. Now, about 7 months after going gluten-free, I'm just STARTING to get my appetite back. My stepmom has hypoglycemia too though, and I know she has to eat every few hours or she gets lightheaded. So it could be a combination of the two conditions.

Nancy

evie Rookie
I am noticing (gluten free 8 weeks now with a few accidental slips) that when I have a regular or large meal, I get lightheaded or dizzy. If I snack nutritionally all day I never get lightheaded. Could this have to do with celiac disease and recovering? If not then it may be related to my hypoglycemia.

Sarah; you are on the right track!! :) I was having such bad diarrhea a few mon ths ago, was told by my Dr. I had dumping syndrome brought on by celiac and to eat smaller meals and more often. Within 2 months I was past that "D" problem but am still eating at least 5 times per day. I suppose eventually I will be able to eat more @ meals but this way is ok.

I have had the fingernail ridges for years too, glad to hear some reasons for it, not surprised they may be caused by B vitamin defiency. :angry: Also celiac caused. evie

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I find now I eat smaller meals because I feel full faster - but I get hungry faster too, so have to eat often. Maybe it's just because I'm paying so much attention to eating, that I notice I'm full, instead of plowing through a huge plate of Brussels sprouts (an uncommon weakness, I know).

I like it, but it does cause me to have to carry food around all the time. Who wants a purse full of sauteed asparagus spears and boiled eggs.

Kaycee Collaborator

Before being diagnosed, and not gluten free, I had to eat smaller meals, as when ever I overate, I seemed to get sick. But I was always hungry, so I did tend to eat too much, and get sick quite a bit. But I knew I had to eat smaller meals, but the hunger got the better of me at times.

Since diagnosis, and being gluten I have had more succes with eating smaller meals, as my appetite is not there like it was. I am still totally obssessed with food, like I was when I started being gluten free, luckily it is just a mind obssession, and not an eating obssession. I was worried that over winter, I would be cold and would never be able to find enough to eat to keep me warm and full. But that is not a problem, I just don't feel as hungry. I don't even crave the comfort food. Which suits me fine, as I have always been overweight, and still am a bit, but the best thing of all, is the 2 stone I lost the year before, has not even began to creep back on. I feel I am winning. And my diet is so much better, I feel wonderful.

I am just beginning to think, that because of coeliac, I was always hungry as my body had problems absorbing all the nutrients it needed. So what do you do when you are hungry? You eat, well I did. So I am guessing all my overeating was one way of getting the nutrients I needed, and I have never really been too low in iron, only mainly when pregnant did I need supplements.

So I did have a reason to be overweight, and I remember when I was about 16 wanting, naively, to have a reason to be overweight.

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
I had to eat small meals too. I pretty much lost my appetite, and eating too much made me nauseous. I just tried to keep it as nutritious as I could. Now, about 7 months after going gluten-free, I'm just STARTING to get my appetite back. My stepmom has hypoglycemia too though, and I know she has to eat every few hours or she gets lightheaded. So it could be a combination of the two conditions.

Nancy

Reading your post made me remember that I used to lose my appetite and get nauseous also. I had forgotten that because it was about a year ago and finally went away. It was probably one of my body's ways of hinting at celiac but I didn't know then. I wish celiac didn't take so long to figure out.

You and Ursula have both suggested that it could be the two combined. Maybe then when I heal the hypo will either get better or disappear. Thank you :)

Sarah

Sarah; you are on the right track!! :) I was having such bad diarrhea a few mon ths ago, was told by my Dr. I had dumping syndrome brought on by celiac and to eat smaller meals and more often. Within 2 months I was past that "D" problem but am still eating at least 5 times per day. I suppose eventually I will be able to eat more @ meals but this way is ok.

I have had the fingernail ridges for years too, glad to hear some reasons for it, not surprised they may be caused by B vitamin defiency. :angry: Also celiac caused. evie

Evie,

Sounds similar to me. I don't have D, but I go more often then I think I should. Sounds like you are making progress, that is great! Thank you for the encouragement. :)

Sarah

I find now I eat smaller meals because I feel full faster - but I get hungry faster too, so have to eat often. Maybe it's just because I'm paying so much attention to eating, that I notice I'm full, instead of plowing through a huge plate of Brussels sprouts (an uncommon weakness, I know).

I like it, but it does cause me to have to carry food around all the time. Who wants a purse full of sauteed asparagus spears and boiled eggs.

:D I can relate! I love brussel sprouts also. AND I always have little ziplock baggies in my purse or in the car so that when I am out I can eat. 2 hours after a meal I am hungry again.

Sarah

I am just beginning to think, that because of coeliac, I was always hungry as my body had problems absorbing all the nutrients it needed. So what do you do when you are hungry? You eat, well I did. So I am guessing all my overeating was one way of getting the nutrients I needed, and I have never really been too low in iron, only mainly when pregnant did I need supplements.

So I did have a reason to be overweight, and I remember when I was about 16 wanting, naively, to have a reason to be overweight.

Cathy

Cathy,

Yes, before going gluten free I had all these cravings for foods (especially ones that aren't healthy) and I am completely amazed that I don't have them anymore. I think celiac disease really throws your body out of wack in sooo many ways ( I've had many non-digestive symptoms). I'm happy to hear that you are having so much success with all of this. I had been anywhere from 5 to 10 pounds overweight before going gluten free. Now it is easy to maintain an optimum weight. Thanks for sharing. :)

Sarah

Archived