- - - - -

The Bill Passed!

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_madissoninva1_*

Guest_madissoninva1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2004 - 03:27 AM

FDA commends the passage by the House of Representatives of S. 741, a bill that includes the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act, as well as the Minor Use and Minor Species Animal Health Act (MUMS). Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Joe Barton and Ranking Member John D. Dingell were instrumental in moving this bipartisan legislation forward in the House. House approval of the Senate-passed bill represents final Congressional action that clears the way for enactment of this important legislation that will help consumers identify foods that can cause severe allergic reactions and separately that will help create new incentives to develop and seek approval for treatments of diseases in animals, including zoo animals, exotic species and pets. The Agency applauds the dedication and leadership of the bills sponsors in the Senate, including Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee Chairman Judd Gregg and Ranking Member Edward Kennedy as well as Senators Jeff Sessions and Jeff Bingaman. In the House, the primary sponsors of companion legislation on food allergen labeling legislation were Representatives Nita M. Lowey and James C. Greenwood and, for companion legislation on MUMS, the primary sponsor was Representative Charles W. Pickering.
The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act will provide improved food labeling information to the millions of consumers who suffer from food allergies. It requires food labels to identify in plain English if the product contains any of the eight major food allergens - milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat and soybeans.
This labeling will be especially helpful to children who must learn to recognize the presence of substances they must avoid. For example, if a product contains the milk-derived protein casein, the product's label would have to use the term milk in addition to the term casein so that those with milk allergies would clearly understand the presence of an allergen they need to avoid.
FDAs Acting Commissioner Dr. Lester M. Crawford said today, FDA applauds the passage of the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act. It will be of great help to consumers that are prone to allergies. We welcome this legislation which is consistent with FDAs initiatives to provide consumers with the information they need to make healthy choices.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Sibewill_*

Guest_Sibewill_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:05 AM

Thats great! Are there any estimates on when this will be enacted/ on the labels?

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:45 AM

Yay!

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:24 PM

Sibewill, I believe the bill calls for the new labeling by 2006. Don't forget, however, that the bill only requires LABELING allergens, and DEFINING gluten free. So something may still be able to hide oats or rye or barley, because they are not common allergens.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Guest_madissoninva1_*

Guest_madissoninva1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:12 AM

I know it will take a while but it's a step in the right direction. I work for the FDA so I will be on the lookout for the time when they start requiring us to detain products that are not properly labeled in accordance to these new rules. One good thing that I have noticed over the years is that once a bill passes, though they may have until the year 2006 to implement it, many of the major companies will start doing it sooner than later in an effort to get a jump start on it and appear that they are abiding by the rules. It's good for publicity since this information is out there for everyone and has now been on the news (I have seen it twice this week and other friends of mine have called to tell me that they have seen it as well).

#6 dkmb

dkmb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:35 AM

The FDA has until 2008 to define the guidelines for gluten free and then it still remains optional for companies to include this on their labels. But this bill is a step in the right direction and we are already seeing companies moving toward better labeling--example--Kraft. And yes, the publicity is much welcomed.
DK :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: