arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Most Reliable Food Allergy Testing?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pilgrim South

Pilgrim South

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:47 AM

Hi,

I had skin scratch allergy testing done as a child (several times) and now at almost 57 years of age I need a good source for allergy testing. I am allergic to more foods than I am not it seems, so I need to get this down to where I really know what is seriously throwing my body off. I have heard about blood tests that will tell you what you are allergic to, but don't know much about them. Are they accurate? What companies do them? Are there other forms of food allergy testing that are more accurate than the skin scratch tests and where do I get more information on them? I just had dairy and soy and etc. done through Enterolab but want to do all foods. Any ideas? Thanks Pilgrim

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Simply_V

Simply_V

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:22 PM

I've had very good luck with Immunolabs. They do IgG and IgE testing and were very accurate for me. (Though they don't test for blueberry IgE) They test for 119 foods I think it is.

Keep in mind that no one tests for every single food. So if your results come back as sensitive to a particular food, you may want to look it up in the food families and see other foods that are similar in genetic make up.. to watch out for. Aka if your test comes back sensitive to one pepper, you may want to keep an eye out for all peppers.

My insurance (blue cross) covered the Immunolabs testings.. both the IgE and IgG. You may want to see if your insurane will cover these kinds of tests and which ones.. if there are specific labs etc.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: