Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Celiac Cause Severe Neurological Problems?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 imagine22

imagine22

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:41 PM

Hi, not to discount the very important and serious neurological problems i have briefly seen on this board caused by celia, but im wondering if celiac can cause severe depression and anxiety.

I have celiac and no problems apart from fatigue and a bit of 'brain fog' but my brother has had severe depression and anxiety problems since he was a small child and has been in and out of hospital for them for years. I was just wondering if celiac can cause that type of extreme neurological problems? he has not been tested as yet (he isnt the most compliant of people!).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Electra

Electra

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

In my opinion YES it can!! I have develeped several phobias, and avoidance personality disorder and even some paranoid personality disorder because of my Celiac. I can't say that for sure, but now that I look back it all makes sence. One of the major symptoms of Celiac is IRRITABILITY (to the point of mood changes and behavioral changes) that tells me that most of my phobias are a result of fears from having an attack!! I also have a sleep disorder and am now wondering if I aquired that as a result of my Celiac Disease. If I go gluten free and feel better could I possibly end up with no sleep disorder? Interesting question don't you think ;-)!!
~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995
Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06
Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07
DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07
Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

#3 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:01 PM

Yes, especially the type of gluten intolerance that doesn't cause the villi to flatten (and doctors often won't take you serious if you don't have obvious gut damage) will cause neurological damage instead. It has been proven many times over that celiac disease can cause depression, anxiety, mood changes, autism, ADHD, learning disabilities and even schizophrenia (just to name a few of the many problems gluten can cause).
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 daffadilly

daffadilly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

YES, YES, & YES... I was telling a doctor friend recently that I do not think that there is a person that is celiac or gluten sensitive that is not depressed on some level, before going on the gluten-free diet which has helped me a lot... depression is one of the main symptoms along with a lot of other stuff, and a lot of people have no symptoms or only one or two.

#5 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:14 PM

Check out The Gluten File link in my signature. There's a lot there on neurological disorders, depression and anxiety and gluten sensitivity.

#6 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:04 AM

severe depression for years and severe anxiety disorder were just a couple of my symptoms. I kept being sent to psychiatrists who in turn said I didn't need to be there... (counseling didn't do the trick, meds didn't do the trick) the only thing that helped was getting gluten out of my diet and the lifelong battle with depression and anxiety lifted... (I still get it in small doses especially if accidentally glutened but for the most part I'm now depression free)... oh and seizure free too.

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:30 AM

Definately. I had panic attacks dating back about 20 years. I haven't had one since going gluten-free, but I still have anxiety which is much worse and is coupled with paranoia and moodiness when glutened.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: