Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Lactose Intolerant?

3 posts in this topic

I'm not sure where to put this message, but I've read over and over that many celiacs are lactose intolerant in the beginning and need to eliminate dairy for a few months. The dietician I was sent to said I could just take Lactaid before eating dairy and that would be fine. I have tried that and it seems to work. But I've been forgetting to take it lately and I will get gas/bloating. Am I damaging myself the same way I would if I ate gluten or is it different? Thanks for any input.

Nikki

Ads by Google:

lactose intolerance is the inability of your body to produce the enzyme necessary to digest lactose in dairy products. It does not damage your intestine but it may cause diarrhea and/or constipation which would lead to you feeling crappy - or gas and bloating which make you feel crappy.

I have been dealing with Lactose Intolerance for too many years to count. I have been using Lactaid, and using the Lactaid milk too. It does help. I use the Coscto brand which is cheaper (and comes with a little plastic case to carry with you. With lactose intolerance since your body doesn't have enough enzymes to process the dairy it will ferment in your intestines and cause all the discomfort. I used to get violently sick from dairy, servere gas, bloating, cramping, throwing up, D -- the works. The Lactaid works like a charm, although I do try to stay away from unecessary dairy as a general rule.

The Lactaid just gives you the enzymes you need to digest milk products. I carry it with me at all times, you never know :-)

Ciao, Cin