2 replies to this topic

#1 azedazobollis

azedazobollis

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 04:25 PM

I am still confused about her test results. The Gliadin Ab IGg was very high positive, but she did not register to have a wheat allergy. The milk and egg white were a mild- to moderate positive.
Any thoughts on this?
Christine, stay at home mom (Foster Mamma to infants)- Baker and Lactation supporter
Wife to Power Lineman, Chris.
Mom to:
Hollis (10.96) peanut allergy
Zobey (7.98) gluten intolerant & mild allergy to milk and egg whites
Zeda (6.02) dog allergy, hay fever, something else that I just cant figure out yet...?
Annakaya (1.05) milk sensitivity
Kaitlyn (8.06) milk allergy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:16 PM

Gluten intolerance and wheat allergy are two different things. Gluten intolerance implies an IgG response to gluten, whereas a wheat allergy is an IgE response. A test for one cannot identify the other, and the two are independent (you can have one without the other).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:33 AM

Christine,

I have a child with a peanut allergy too. She also tested postive for a milk allergy at her first skin test, but since she lived on cheese and dairy products at the time the allergist said to consider the milk allergy result a false positive.

At her second allergy test a year later, she tested neagtive for the milk allergy, but had a very large (in my opinion) welt for the wheat allergy. The wheat allergy result had me very concerned since I have the Celiacs. The allergist confirmed that Celiacs and a wheat allergy are two entirely different things. And the wheat welt was not large enough to be considered positive. But that peanut allergy is just sticking around for the long haul!

So from my previous experince with the milk allergy issue, follow whatever your doctor said. Some people are anaphylactic for the milk reaction (means they need an Epi-pen). But, if the child is consuming milk no problems now, I wouldn't worry about it. Just watch for changes and rashes in case the allergy develops further.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: