This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

South Tampa, Sarasota Bradenton Area Florida

peter99ff

peter99ff Rookie

I think the first time I did this wrong but I just want to see how many people in the sarasota to tampa area there is that are gluten-free and possible want to talk about whats in the area and or meet up occasionally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Welcome Peter, you did it right!

But, sorry not from Florida.

taylor- Rookie

I'm from bradenton!!!

but i just moved to tallahassee now for college.

but they have a group in sarasota, i used to go occationally but haven't been in a while.

I'm sure i have the information somewhere. i'll try and find it for you!

and where exactly are you? because I don't go to tampa much for food, but I know places in sarasota/bradenton.

peter99ff Rookie

Thank You for the reply Momma goose appreciate it.

taylor, ty also. I live in Bradenton, west of 41 lol. I work in Sarasota, so I do all the whole foods, publics and the other stores. How are you doing up there? My Mom told me that Europe was big on gluten free, my Dad is also gluten-free and they travel, not so much anymore. He gets fustrated like me about it all. I asked because I saw your post from last year, hope it was a good trip.

I went to Lake City for a couple of schools.....very very ummmm set back. I liked the houses but Im a sucker for turn of the century. The people need to speed up a little, ok that was wrong. funny, but not nice.

peter99ff Rookie
I'm from bradenton!!!

but i just moved to tallahassee now for college.

but they have a group in sarasota, i used to go occationally but haven't been in a while.

I'm sure i have the information somewhere. i'll try and find it for you!

and where exactly are you? because I don't go to tampa much for food, but I know places in sarasota/bradenton.

caraba's too, they have a gluten-free menu.

taylor- Rookie

Hi again! Yea i would use the whole foods market occationally..but its far away, so I didn't go there often. I live in northwest bradenton, and there was a health food store across the street pretty much, it was nice. I actually went to Italy and I went to scotland..and both were sooo understanding and knew what to do, New York was the same way.

Tallahassee on the other hand is not as understanding..at all. More people know about it, but I had such a hard time finding a place to shop, usually my mom just send me food.

I like the outback in bradenton, i have never had a problem there, i dont really like going to carabas as much because usually everyone orders pasta...hahaha

GGMaynard Newbie

There is a group that meets across from Sarasota Memorial Hospital. :D Their website is:

Open Original Shared Link It is very informative. There is a list of local restaurants, recipies, etc.

Whole Foods, Richards and Publix seem to be the best places to shop (Whole Foods has the best selection, but Publix is getting better; I found Pamela's cookies there last week.... :rolleyes: )

GG

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taylor- Rookie

Yea!! thats the group my mom and I would go to occationally. When I went there weren't many people my age, so I only went occationally. I LOVE whole foods, i wish they had one here.

peter99ff Rookie

Thanks a lot for the site of the group Im definatly going to check it out.

Taylor it doesnt sound to good up there :) . They opened a Cody's (steak house) down by the mall. I went there a couple of times. Its a good thing your Mom sends you stuff.

Ugh. My Daughters son and I have a cold and he's going nuts. I'll jump on tommarow, thanks again for the group site, GG.

• 2 weeks later...
peter99ff Rookie
There is a group that meets across from Sarasota Memorial Hospital. :D Their website is:

Open Original Shared Link It is very informative. There is a list of local restaurants, recipies, etc.

Whole Foods, Richards and Publix seem to be the best places to shop (Whole Foods has the best selection, but Publix is getting better; I found Pamela's cookies there last week.... :rolleyes: )

GG

I'm just replying to this to try to keep this post on the first page so anyone in the area can see the website. They are opening this weekend with Aulstralia, I don't think I'll be going any time soon, but I'm planning on going to the meeting to see what it's about in general.

• 2 weeks later...
celiacparent Newbie

Hello - I am from E. Bradenton and have a 5 year old daughter diagnosed in June with Celiac. I am flying up to the Cleveland Clinic in November to have more tests run since she is still not gaining weight. We frequently shop at Whole Foods in Sarasota or Richards on University/Honore. We were in London, Paris, Germany, & Austria this summer and it was great! Everyone knew what gluten-free was. In Germany we stayed at a Marriott that happened to be across the street from a whole foods store. Germans have the best Gluten Free products ever!!! I brought back 2 suitcases filled with stuff. FYI one of the brands just became available in the US through Glutenfreemall.com. The brand is Dr. Schar. The chocolate covered biscotti are Anna's favorite. The pasta, although a little more pricey, is awesome. You have to try it just once and you'll never go back! Talk with you soon. Heather :rolleyes:

taylor- Rookie

Hi heather!

welcome!!

is your daughter the only one in your family diagnosed?? if so, i was too..so i know how that goes..haha. but if you are new to it and have any questions about gluten-free bradenton, or how the schools handled it and stuff, just let me know! i have lived there my whole life and had celiac the whole time, so i'm very familiar with all of it!

celiacparent Newbie

Thanks - Anna is the only one diagnosed. My 8yr old and myself are negative. They want to wait until my 2 yr old is 5 before testing, but she is symptom free. Anna attends a private school. I have volunteered in the kitchen a few times to get and idea of whether or not it would be safe and there are way toooo many issues with contamination :huh:! So I just pack her a lunch every day. She likes yogurt, cereal (and then she can buy the milk which she likes to do so she feels included), and soup in a thermos. She has not revolted too badly at this point. If you can think of any ideas I haven't I would love to know. Some days I try to eat lunch with her and bring Chick A Filet. Thanks Again. Heather

dinali63 Rookie

I am from the northeast, but visit relatives in Sarasota at least 3 times a year (would love to move there). I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and thought I'd have so much trouble finding places to eat while visiting the Sarasota area. I was so wrong! Thank you for posting the info about the support group in the area. Now, I'm really looking forward to my next trip! It seems like there's so much more in Florida than in the community I'm in.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...
sunshine70 Newbie

I am in Tampa FL, South Tampa to be exact. Are there any groups in Tampa?

Archived