#1 BamBam

BamBam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:01 AM

Hi,

For the last twelve years I have had lots of stomach pains, diarrhea, accidents etc. I am feeling a lot better now that I am gluten free. But I still get anxious when I travel, or when I know the bathroom is a long distance away. My husband travels a lot with school kids, and I would just love to go with him, but the fear of having an accident keeps me from going anywhere. I will travel with him, but am afraid to travel with other people, having an accident is just so embarrassing. Do we ever get "regular" again?

BAM
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:31 AM

<_< its an irrational fear that you may not ever get rid of--i know i panic when i dont know where the bathroom is or i am where there isnt one and i have been gluten-free for over 3 1/2 years--it's because we have been through so much before going gluten-free and we still dont trust our bodies---its a trust that doesnt come back easily---i do have very good days where i can go without knowing where each bathroom is along the way----maybe with time you will feel safer---it's hard, i know--i live it too--we do get regular, but sometimes that irrational fear will make us panic and then we have to go--its a vicious cycle for us---try talking to yourself and reminding you that you will be fine----i have to do the driving, i can ride with my boyfriend, but only him, no one else--i know i havent helped you, but i have reminded you there are others of us out here that feel the same way----i do have good days--more good then not :lol: deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:57 PM

I am still suffering from that anxiety. I went to therapy and started anti-anxiety medication after my dignosis. It really helps a lot!

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:06 PM

I still have anxiety as well. It's alot better then before but it's still there. Once you try things a few times with success you will trust your body more. I went to therapy and they told me it was a fear of what might happen since so many times I have went to do things and started not feeling well and I was just expecting something like that to happen.

I started on medications but I eventually was able to get off of those pills thankfully:)

Good luck:)
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:04 PM

Yes ... anxiety is a real tough one to get rid of. I have been gluten free for about 17 years, and still have some of those problems. I think maybe because every time you start to get comfortable you run into a contamination. I think what helped me the most is a few, very close friends getting me out of the house for short periods of time, to start with and then extending the time. They even helped me find the bathrooms :D I am probably more confident than a lot of Celiacs now, but that comes with time and the fact that I'm very careful what I eat for two or three days before an important outing. Well ... I'm always careful, but before an outing I never try anything new and go back to the very basics. Hope this helps some :)

#6 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:08 PM

Oops ... I forgot. If it's an un-planned event, and I start getting nervous about it and of course, we all know what happens when we get nervous and tie up those stomach muscles, then I take my old friend "Imodium". It's got me through more than one occasion :lol:

#7 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:32 PM

It is so nice to hear that I am not the only one suffering from this! Before diagnosis, I had a career counselor psychologist (?) say it sounded like i had agoraphobia. At first I thought she was nuts. Then i realized i was nuts, lol.

I found a book at the library that was very helpful with anxiety called "Fearless Living: (something more...)" by Judith Marquart (sp?). It's also available from Amazon. Come to think of it, I think I may check it out again....I'm in need of a refresher :)

btw, does anyone have any advice on how to help dh's deal with this sort of thing? Mine is very understanding, but still....feels limited in going places sometimes, though tell him to go solo or whatever, if i just don't feel well. I may post this over in the "friends of" section...

Thanks,
Merika

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: