2 replies to this topic

#1 ccbergren@yahoo.com

ccbergren@yahoo.com

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 05:27 PM

I have read that most blue cheeses are made with bread mold and are not safe for people with gluten intolerance. However, I also read that some are made with copper salts and are safe for celiacs. Is there any one who can tell me if this is true and if so, which cheeses are safe?
Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:49 PM

This is a very, very good question. I am far from an expert on blue cheeses, but I will say that I use a gorgonzola blue, made by a company called Bel... something. I'm sorry I don't know the full brand. But, the blue vien is from an inoculated enzyme, rather than actual bread mold. I am not a celiac, but my son is and I teach gluten-free cooking classes. I used this cheese to make a dip during my last gluten-free class and no one in the class had any ill effects afterward.

Like all products, you really should let the manufacturer tell you. If they use the enzyme and not the bread crumbs, supposedly it should be safe. But only they would be able to tell you for sure.

#3 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:09 PM

I have also read about the cheeses being started from breads. I can't pull up the name of the book right this minute though. I am pretty sure it was in "against the grain". However, I too would be interested in knowing a safe cheese. My grandmother had made a cheeseball for the holidays and I didn't feel so great after eating it.
-Jessica
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: