#16 Eliza13

Eliza13

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

Bananas constipate??? I had no idea.
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:23 AM

:)

12bGF,

Re dairy,

Forgive me not following your story from the start, I've got hardware problems, but this may be relevant to others as well.

A dairy intolerance is sometimes taken as more general than it need be (not necessarily saying it is so in your case) but I found the following experience useful:

I did like my cheese, and several pints of milk most days. I was having various digestive and other problems whether slight or severe.

I tested slightly to moderately casein intolerant as well as extremely gluten intolerant.

Meantime it is assumed as a gluten sensitive person that I'll have lactose intolerance till further notice.

The nutritionist said: choose a time when nothing else complicated is going on in life and do the following:

Have no dairy at all for 5 days. Then have live yoghurt till there's a reaction or stop after five days. Then no dairy for 5 days. Then have butter for five days till there's a reaction or stop after five days. Then no dairy for 5 days. The repeat again for cream. Then for neat milk. Then for cheese.

Live yoghurt has live cultures in it that are turning the lactose into something else and also do fabulous things to the gut. Butter contains almost no casein or lactose and, for a saturated fat, is natural and healthy (especially if organic). Cream is like a cross between milk and butter. Cheese is solidified milk with natural byproducts that can be difficult to handle if sensitive.

At the end of a couple of months (I think I cut back the five days to three and I sort of got a good answer) you will have picture of what to do with dairy providing the casein issue isn't very serious: in my case I have had to cut back in a very big way on the neat milk and the cheese :( and slightly on cream but not the other things.

I may revisit that in a couple of years when my life is more settled, to fine tune the situation.

I'm only mentioning that because I get the feel some practitioners advise action that goes further than necessary. Hoping that's not unhelpful,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: