This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Feel More Mentally Healthy After Going gluten-free?

TotalKnowledge

Sillybrry Newbie

I am so excited to read this topic...I'm only on my second day going gluten-free, and still learning about all the different effects gluten sensitivity can have. I have suffered with anxiety and depression most of my life, to varying degrees - I was medicated for several years, went off the meds for a long time but lately have been having a lot of problems with depression. When I think back, during the time I didn't need the meds I was pretty much off processed foods and eating whole foods, meaning lean meats, fruits and vegetables and very little else. So I wasn't gluten-free, but I would say I was probably closer than I've ever been.

I gradually drifted away from my healthier lifestyle, and have noticed all my old problems returning - mood swings, disrupted periods and sleep, night sweats, you name it, but the worst of it being the decreased emotional stability. My FSH tests have been pretty much normal, which my doctor says doesn't necessarily mean anything since levels change daily, but she is not inclined to think I'm perimenopausal. Somehow, no one ever suggested any sort of gluten-sensitivity (until my new rheumatologist did recently) even though I have autoimmune conditions that tend to go along with it.

It's encouraging to think that going gluten-free might help with the emotional issues as well as the physical ones. I strongly believe in the mind-body connection so that shouldn't be surprising, I guess. I'm not going to count on it - I know there are lots of other root causes for emotional problems, but I'll just say if it happens, it will be a very pleasant side-effect.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

summerteeth Enthusiast

I am definitely more centered since going gluten free. The tensed up monster living inside me relaxed and rejoined me. I feel whole. PMS gone

daily headaches gone

anxiety gone

my hatred of other people and crowded spaces gone

my weight going down

depression gone

over reactions to little things gone

rational thought back

ability to play pool remarkable (I can see the angles needed to make a shot now rather than just guessing)

feeling that I'm so clever feeling- which disappeared around puberty- which when thinking about it was about the time the red cheeks appeared too (just realized this as typing)

I am not diagnosed for any of my symptoms nor celiacs (still have to talk to a doctor about it).

Oh my I think you are describing me. I used to HATE going to crowded places because I would get super irritated and upset and I was a horror to deal with (my fiance would not go grocery shopping with me because I could not take crying babies, slow walkers, etc.)

And my anxiety is greatly reduced. I don't wake up in a panic anymore. I remember waking up at 3 am some days and just feeling like my chest was caving in and I couldn't breath. Then I'd get the shakes.

But my mental issues were the first to go when I went gluten-free. Unfortunately now, when I happen to get glutened, these symptoms can last a week or a week and a half! I don't know how I lived like that before! It is like a night and day change, for me.

azagave Rookie

I know I for one, after going gluten free have a much easier time regulating my emotions. The wild roller coaster of feelings is gone. My overwhelming anxiety is gone. My depression for the most part is gone. My mania is gone...

Is there anyone that has been diagnosed with depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, or some other form of mental illness that found they had a marked improvement on a gluten free diet, if so what are you recovered from? Also are there any problems that have not improved, or have become worse?

YES!! Wish they would have done than when I was a teen instead of put my on lithium and zoloft!! I spent years on zoloft- now have been drug free for 1.5 yrs!! My mood evened out, anxiety 99% gone, depression gone. I still get PMS cause I started ovulation which was not a norm for me before. I wish I would have known years ago.

HappyGrandma Rookie

Halleuhia for gluten-free. It has only been about 3 weeks and I feel calmer.................!! It was something I noticed right away. Feels wonderful. I take Cymbalta for Fibro and hope to get off soon. One it's expensive and the Fibro pain is getting better everyday. Not sleeping real well but don't feel tired. Takes me along time to go to sleep.

Great Topic/Posts.....let's keep it going. As a newbie I love reading everything. Thanks.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I know I for one, after going gluten free have a much easier time regulating my emotions. The wild roller coaster of feelings is gone. My overwhelming anxiety is gone. My depression for the most part is gone. My mania is gone...

Is there anyone that has been diagnosed with depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, or some other form of mental illness that found they had a marked improvement on a gluten free diet, if so what are you recovered from? Also are there any problems that have not improved, or have become worse?

I was going through a migraine med a month. Anxiety and depression started in high school.I had post partum depression with my children. An eating disorder followed, plus other medical issues. They are all better now! I'm three months into my gluten-free diet. I haven't had a migraine since June! That's crazy, my Neuro cannot believe it! I cannot believe it! I was having 9 plus migraines a month! My mood is better, my brain fog gone! My depression is better, but not totally gone. My eating disorder behaviors are better! I am still having gastro issues, not as bad pain, but pain with eating no matter if it is gluten-free. I feel my gallbladder has issues even if they tell me it is in functioning range. So, I still have pain everyday, but it's better, I have bloating everday, depends on what I eat. I'm cutting out more than gluten now. I'm glad for the improvements, but would love a pain free day!

• 3 weeks later...
cwj-tlj Rookie

My anxiety and depression have improved -- I don't know if that's directly related to the gluten or to the fact that off gluten I can actually sleep (insomnia is my primary symptom when glutened and can certainly be a factor in mental health -- the GI stuff is no fun, either, but I'd take that anytime over the days of no sleep).

I got glutened for the first time in a long while on Monday, and today, after two nights with no sleep, I feel the worst mentally/emotionally than I have in a while. Yesterday I was manic -- the world was perfect, I was super excited about every little thing from checking out books at the library to the songs that popped up on my ipod random player. Today I've been having trouble keeping my mind off suicide. That's generally how it went with me -- I'd pay for the manic days with long bouts of depression. I've always functioned, so it's not as bad as some people's, but it can still be pretty rough. Since going gluten-free, I've evened out considerably. Anxiety-wise, I haven't been freaking out about social gatherings where I don't know every single person or driving on the freeway and other totally ridiculous things that make me break into a cold sweat and make my heart beat out of control.

That said, I've got no doctor monitoring these things so I don't quite meet your criteria for a response, but I'm not the only person to have noticed the change in my behavior and mood.

cwj-tlj Rookie

My symptoms were exactly like that. I become bascily Bipolar and have been treated for this while I started into recovery but have since gotten so much betterI am now only on lexapro which I am considering going off of. Now when glutened I defenitely have symptoms of insomnia cured with 1/4 Ambien. I also have depression mixed with mania.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brett31em Rookie

After having bad reactions to several SSRIs, this gluten free diet has reduced my anxiety unbelievably.

Archived