Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

New To This Board. Have ?'s Endoscopy Friday

4 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone :-)

I am new to this board & on the very frustrated. Basically this is my history. Have always battled severe iron deficiency anemia (we think it is because of severe endometriosis, but now I wonder). Fatigue. GERD. Joint pain. Fibromyalgia. IBS (with constipation) Chronic allergies. Some food allergies but we haven't figured out what I am allergic to yet(I sneeze many times after every meal, if that makes sense). Had a hysterectomy back in January of this year. Diagnosed with an ileus on the 18th of January. It resolved, but nause & vomiting did not. Hospitalized for nausea & vomiting from the 18th - 31st of January. Lost 20 pounds during hospital stay. Only gained back about 3 pounds. Still having problems with the nausea & vomiting. Only thing I can keep down are bland foods such as crackers, macoroni & cheese, Slim-Fast, Boosts, toast, etc (even though I do sneeze after eating these foods indicating that I am allergic to something in them). Saw G.I. Dr last week. Immediately ordered an Endoscopy & flex sig for this Friday. What does all this sound like to you? Hubby & I have questioned ourselves in the past about the possibility of it being Celiac disease. Also for those of you who have had an endoscopy, can you please shed some light on it? Dr is going to do it under twilight sedation. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Tara, welcome.

I am sorry you have had all those health problems. It sounds like you have been through a lot.

I have had an endoscopy, it's not bad at all. Yes they put you in a twilight, my doc used "versed" via IV. As soon as he gave me the meds I do not remember anything. Some docs spray your throat I guess to numb it and keep you from gagging but my doc said the taste of the spray was a lot worse than gagging so he did not use it and I did not feel a thing. I woke up and was fine, a little sleepy but felt good.

I hope you get some answers soon, you will be in my thoughts and prayers :)

My endoscopy was also done under twilight sedation. No problems. Don't remember a thing! Very grogy when I woke up and for several hours after, but otherwise, felt fine. I would consent to having another one done tommorrow without hesitation.

While there are no hard and fast symptoms for every Celiac, I would have to question your case - I would be surprised if you are diagnosed with Celiac. Have you had the Celiac panel (blood tests) done? That would be a good first step prior to the endoscopy.

Although, for me, it was backwards. My doctor did not begin suspecting Celiac until he was performing the endoscopy and seen the tell tale inflamation. Fortunately, his suspicions were strong enough that he took biopsies right away. Before he even got the biopsy results, he asked me to get the Celiac panel done. I failed both and have been gluten free ever since!

Have you discussed the possiblity of Celiac with your Dr.? You should prior to the endoscopy. At least plant the seed in his/her brain so that when they are doing the procedure, the thought will be with them. You can also request biopsies to be taken during the procedure. However, if your doctor does not feel they are justified, your insurance may not cover that part of it.

Best wishes!

Marion, IA

Hi Tara,

I'm sorry that you are so ill, I know how you must be feeling.

I have an allergy to wheat. For 3 years I had red, sore, itchy

eyes. My allergist insisted it was "environmentally" caused

by trees, grass, and mold. I had allergy shots, antibiotics,

but nothing helped. In March of 03 I began having GI

problems, nausea, diarrhea, bloating all occuring after eating.

I had gb scans,colonoscopy, and endoscopy. My GI doc

came up w/diagnosis of GERD, IBS, and I had one tiny polyp

in my colon. He gave me fiber pills (they help both constipation

and diarrhea) and a small dose of an antidepressent then

told me to eat a high fiber diet. I improved a little but in Oct 03

I went back and told him I was still sick and having right-sided pain

so hr suggested a Celiac Panel be done, it came back neg for

celiac disease but slight positive for wheat. He told me to avoid wheat,

rye, barley, and distilled vinegar, never told me anything

about gluten or this diet. Fortunately I have been An RN all

of my life so I began to do research, found this site and

learned a lot.

As far as the Endoscopy, the only part I didn't like was

the solution they sprayed in my throat, it had a strong

banana taste. I didn't go completely out, I had Versed,

which he said would wipe out my memory of the procedure,

it didn't but it wasn't unpleasant, the nurses were very

kind and I got colored pictures of my problem areas.

I had to stay in recovery for 30 min., then got up,

went home and slept all day.

I never sneezed around wheat but both my mother and

Grandmother would sneeze about 15 times in a row.

They both had GI problems but not allergies as I have known them.

I hope this helps, I wish you the best of luck in your search for answers..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• turkey
      Turkey is gluten-free as long as it is not stuffed. You can make a good gluten-free stuffing using gluten-free bread. Dry the bread first and add what ever spices or veggies you wish, but cook it in a separate baking dish because stuffing the bird with it can cause bacteria to breed. And gravy must be thickened with corn starch or potato starch instead of wheat flour.
    • turkey
      so you can't even cook without stuffing inside turkey and not get gluten? Sorry I'm not familiar with turkey and wondering if I can have it while rest of family gets stuffing? In other words is turkey gluten free?
    • Numbness, Tingling in limbs & Joint Aches
      Hi Ender, Although you didn't get a complete thyroid panel, from what I see you are hypothyroid.  Most Dr's only care about TSH and yes yours is in the range, but when mine is that high I get terrible joint aches.  I feel best with mine around 1.  Your free T4 isn't just a tad low...most people feel best with it around 50% of the range.  I think you could benefit from some thyroid replacement medication.  You should also get a full thyroid addition to what you've had done a free T3, TPOAB and TgAb.   The last 2 are antibody tests.  Hashimotos is found fairly frequently with celiac.   Low vitamin D can also cause aches.  It would be really good to have your levels checked again.  Until you are healed you may not absorb it well enough so it's good to keep supplementing.  It took me a year and a half gluten free to get mine to an acceptable level for my Dr and he's keeping me on 2000 daily for maintenence.  For the numbness and tingling my Dr had me add magnesium as I was having horrible tingling in my feet and my B12 was good.  I have to say it has helped a lot. I hope you are able to get this figured out...I would definitely start with a complete thyroid panel and recheck of Vitamin D.  Here's a bit of reading on thyroid stuff if you have time.  Hugs!
    • Positive & Increasing TTG -- questions re: testing & history
      I'm a 31-year-old high school teacher (currently on disability) who has been dealing with 4 years of major gastrointestinal problems, which resulted in major surgery for a rectal prolapse & redundant colon last August, prior to which I had lost about 20 pounds. The source of all my gas, bloating, distention & diarrhea has remained basically unexplained though ("lets trust the surgery resolves your obstructed defecation and in turn your gas... d'oh it made both  worse"  ) , and my symptoms have only gotten significantly more severe since surgery. I'm facing a permanent ostomy. I've also, for the first time in a lonnng time, been eating a lot of gluten every day... primarily out of depression and (misguided?) attempts to gain weight and keep stool soft. I've been typically slightly underweight for 10+ years. Suffered anorexia for a period 10 years ago, and since recovering have "naturally" maintained a low weight and low-wheat lifestyle (I've always been put off by heavy wheat items like bread, sandwiches & pasta, *shrug*). As a child I had crazy severe & unexplained constipation issues. I've also had strong teeth discoloration & marked enamel defects (& two missing adult teeth(?)) since childhood. Depression & anxiety have been longterm issues. I have osteoperosis, which was perviously explained by me being anorexic from 19-22. Everything changed 4 years ago upon the onset of all my (severe) classic-IBS symptoms (gas/bloat/d+c). On a low-gluten diet, TTG bloodwork came back "low-positive" repeatedly. A biopsy showed no damage, but my gluten intake at the time was limited to 2 cookies a day, or occasionally 2 cookies and a piece of pizza. Would this have been enough to show damage? I trialled going gluten-free for a few months, and didn't find a ton of relief... so assumed I was just FODMAP intolerant... however I was eating lots of oats and lactose that whole time, which I have subsequently identified as major triggers... not to mention just lots of gluten-free junk food. Wheat was obviously a significant gas trigger since this hit, but that seems typical for gut illness in general. Since my major surgery and the continuation and worsening of symptoms, I've connected with an internist who has again and again pushed me towards eating wheat as a method towards weight gain and healthy non-anxious eating. I also found that a high-wheat diet would provide the proper consistency (i.e. very loose diarrhea every day) to allow colorectal function (the surgery I had went very poorly and caused major obstructed defecation). I have not had success gaining weight, and have found my digestive system feeling assaulted like never before 24/7 by bloating, gas and discomfort, despite a relatively low-residue diet and constant elimination. My appetite has never ever been worse. I just had a fourth TTG test, and after this high-gluten diet I am now testing POSITIVE as opposed to BORDERLINE. Questions: 1) I suspect my first biopsy's gluten challenge wasn't quite heavy enough in terms of gluten content (couple cookies a day). Thoughts? 2) Could being underweight alone cause an elevated TTG? How about simply having colorectal surgery? "IBS" or the supposedly non-pathogenic gut bacteria blastocystis hominis which I've been diagnosed with? I haven't been diagnosed with any other autoimmune condition, and I'm so confused. So far everyones just shoving the TTG off on IBS/anorexia, which doesn't make sense to me at all. 3) I really don't know what to do right now. I'm 20 pounds underweight, in digestive hell, with most of my medical support still suspecting I'm merely acting anorexic. I most assuredly am not. They want to put me on a tube. I would really like to get off the gluten in order to ease my system and gain weight, as I'm clearly reacting to it and have been deluding myself for the past year trying to recover from this surgery, but I'd also *REALLY* like some diagnostic confirmation so my doctors & family all stop looking at me like I'm crazy, and that so I can act with appropriate caution/freedom in my dietary future. 4) Do my childhood experiences line up with any celiac sufferers? I've heard about enamel defects, but missing teeth or crazy constipation? Obviously osteoperosis could connect, and doesn't *really* line up with my anorexia considering I was already fully grown. 5) Is there any way to get EMA/HLA blood tests done in Canada (BC)??? It's really frustrating that my only chance for any confirmation is waiting months and months here for another biopsy, especially considering how dire the need to improve my digestion is ASAP. I imagine if I could get an EMA test & it came back positive I would just take that as my confirmation and be able to move on with confidence here. 6) Is it common for celiac sufferers to find themselves reacting to FODMAPS and/or histamines in foods while they're  still maintaining a gluten-filled diet? Gluten definitely isn't my *only* trigger right now, and that's probably a primary reason I haven't been led to eliminate it at. Sorry for all the talk & questions, but I'm in an incredibly challenging place right now, my head is just swimming and swimming, and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!   Bloodwork Current, after six months of a heavy-gluten diet = Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA ---18.0 ---- <12.0 U/mL = normal
      POSITIVE -Probable celiac disease but this should be confirmed with a small bowel biopsy. [Tested by a multiplex flow immunoassay
      (BioPlex) method.] 

6 months ago = Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA ---13.0 ---- <12.0 U/mL = normal
      BORDERLINE - Borderline anti-tTG. Suggest repeat if clinically indicated.Consider the possibility of celiac disease - a small bowel biopsy may be required. [Tested by a multiplex flow immunoassay
      (BioPlex) method.]

2012, prior to negative biopsy = Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA ---24.0 ---- <20.0 RU/mL = normal
      Weak positive anti-TTG. Consider the possibility of celiac disease - a small bowel biopsy may be required.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
  • Members