Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Type One Diabetic For 18 Years, Related To Celiac?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 angelfaerie

angelfaerie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:08 AM

hi, I've been a diabetic for 18 years, and just recently, my doctor told me my stomach problems, (extreme bloating, irregular bowel movements and others) are most likely being caused by celiac disease, but no formal tests were done. I've been advised to drop gluten, and since doing so, some of my stomach problems have gotten less problematic. I'm just wondering if its common to have celiac and type 1 diabetes together, and if so, is anyone able to throw some ideas how i can still eat with a diet plan suited for both? thanks for any help i can get, i may be small but my appetite, not so much

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:51 AM

Type 1 diabetics are one of the groups that are supposed to be screened for celiac as they are a group that has a higher rate of the disease. Your doctor really should have done a blood test before you started the diet. You may want to see if you can get a referral to a dietian knowledgable about both to give you a bit of help with it. We do have some type 1 folks here who hopefully will chime in and give you a bit of guidance. The way you should eat is basically the same as you are for the diabetes but without gluten containing foods.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:10 AM

Yes, there is a connection between diabetes and celiac. Celiac is associated with many autoimmune diseases.

I have been trying to convince my sister to be tested as she has both type 1 diabetes and is hypothyroid, but she won't do it. :(

I applaud your doctor for making the connection between diabetes and celiac, but agree with Ravenwood that you should have been tested first before going gluten free. Wonder why he did not do that?

Glad you are noticing an improvement in your gastro symptoms!

I found this article for my sister, but maybe you might like to read it?

http://www.medicine....pperArticle.pdf

There are many people on here with diabetes who can be more helpful to you. Best wishes!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

There are a couple diabetics who hang out here and I hope they'll give you some personal advice. But from what I've read, the problem with combining a gluten-free diet and a diabetic diet is that most gluten-free replacement foods don't have much fiber and have a lot of simple sugars which mess up blood sugar. I think it will be important to eat lots of protein, veggies, dairy and fiber more brown rice, quinoa and buckwheat and less gluten-free pastries, bagels.

Counsulting a dietician (should be covered by insurance but worth it if not) would be really helpful, IMO. Good luck!

(P.S. I'm one of those people who think that wheat may trigger diabetes and other autoimmune diseases. Interesting to see if they ever find out what causes diabetes.)
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#5 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

(P.S. I'm one of those people who think that wheat may trigger diabetes and other autoimmune diseases. Interesting to see if they ever find out what causes diabetes.)

I have long pondered the relationship between celiac and other autoimmune diseases. I've been a type one diabetic for thirty-eight years, and an undiagnosed celiac until five years ago. SOMETHING caused my autoimmune system, all those years ago, to send out antibodies that ended up killing off my islets of Langerhans. I know that gluten causes an autoimmune reaction within my body... . . . ..so it makes great logical sense to believe that gluten caused the destruction of my insulin-producing beta cells. Couple that with the latest data claiming that one in eight type ones are celiac (the number is likely higher, as SO many people with gluten issues are undiagnosed) and the idea of celiac/gluten intolerance "causing" diabetes becomes quite compelling.

I find the gluten-free diet a valuable tool in keeping my blood sugars in tight control. Carbohydrates cause blood sugar to rise, particularly refined carbs. Once I eliminated gluten, I inadvertently got rid of almost all the refined, processed foodstuffs in my diet. My blood sugar has always been well-controlled, but once I started the gluten-free diet, things got even better. It really was a blessing in many ways, this diagnosis. . . . .. ...just gotta keep reminding my self of this every now and then! :)
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: