This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'am Lost

murphy194951

murphy194951 Newbie
:( I found out about celiac disease last Nov. I hade to retire at the age of 53 because of health issues. I had a heart attack in 1999 but stayed working until 2001, which I was told to get out of constuction which I've been doing for 33 years. At that time I was having alot of bone pain , which I thought I would find out what was wrong so I seen another doctor, I've had high alkline phosphate for along time. No doctor ever persued it they would always check me for hepitias which I didn't have. This doctor said he would find out why they where so high and that's when I found out that I had celiac disease, I have osteoperosa's and a bone disease. I can't stand for along time and wake up at night with so much pain. :blink: I didn't know why I had all this bone pain, the doctor said it was from the disease and I might feel better in a couple of years, the other doctor told me I have celiac disease the thrid stage, but checking into this I haven't heard of this thrid stage I have asked about this for a long time with out results, Has anyone out there heard of this. :unsure: I like this site and wish all of you people out there to try and have a wonderful life and thanks for sending in your storys , it's a great thing to let others know about your issues so we can all relate to ares if you have heard about this third stage let me know thanks Mike

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi Mike,

I am sorry to hear about your health problems. In all the information I have read about Celiac's disease I have never heard of it being in stages. Maybe you should call the doctor and ask him what he meant by that and ask him to give you some literature on it or where he found his information. Did he seem knowledgeable about Celiac's?

I hope you find some answers soon and I hope you begin to feel better.

Take care and God Bless :D

gf4life Enthusiast

Could he possibly have meant that you were in the thrid stage of damage to the intestines? There are different levels of damage. This is how they look at the intestinal damage:

0- (no damage) healthy tissue

1- (no apparent damage) infiltration of immune cells called intraepithelial lymphocytes

2- (minor damage) lots of intraepithelial lymphocytes

3- (destructive damage) flat villi

4- (total destruction) no villi

So if you are at stage 3 then you have a lot of damage and your villi are flat. This is reparable, but you will need to be very strick with your diet and try to avoid as many accidents as you can. It will also take a while to get real relief from your symptoms, as there is a lot of healing that needs to be done. You can also expect to be off dairy until the villi return, and you may also have some problems digesting sugars. I would suggest a very simple diet of rice, chicken, fish and soft veggies for a while. Go easy on the fruits (especially anything acidic) and you may also want to consider taking some gluten free digestive enzymes. I've used Pioneer Digestive Enzymes and Herbs, adn they helped a lot. But I had very minimal damage. I'm not sure the lab checked me for level one or two, they just said my biopsy was negative for Celiac because I was not at level 3. The doctors want you to wait until you are in the worst stages of the disease before they will recognise it. That is not fair. I'm sure that you would have loved for them to find this years ago. To have the damage you have you would have had to been sick for a long time.

I hope this helps you understand what they doctor probably meant.

God bless,

Mariann

Guest gillian502

Mike,

You mentioed you have bone pain that prevents you from standing for long periods of time. I'm curious about that, since I also have deep bone pain in my very low back, specifically the sacroiliac joint, and I cannot stand or walk for more than 12 minutes or so without my back feeling tight and pushed in from behind...it's very weird. I also have deep bone pain back there and in my hips and pelvis if I lie down or sit too much! So I'm at a loss, too, as are you, about all of this. Does this resemble your problem in any way, and what type of doctor did you see about this?

mario Explorer

I saw my doc draw me a pic of my villi and, it was sort of wavy looking so I pressume I have the stage three also..all I can eat is rice, banana, chicken, apple sauce, potato..have to be very carefull.. :(

• 1 month later...
jen-schall Rookie

heh, when my doctor drew the picture, it was a flat line. poor villi! I had some really rough going and now I'm starting to be able to stomach much much more, so it really does get better. everyone hang in there!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

4. - Smith-Ronald replied to Soleihey's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lymph nodes

5. - Bayb replied to Bayb's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Trying to read my lab results

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .
    • Smith-Ronald
      Enlarged lymph nodes in neck and groin with celiac are not uncommon. They can take time to reduce even after going gluten-free. Monitoring is key.
    • Bayb
      Hi Scott, yes I have had symptoms for years and this is the second GI I have seen and he could not believe I have never been tested. He called later today and I am scheduled for an endoscopy. Is there a way to tell how severe my potential celiac is from the results above? What are the chances I will have the biopsy and come back negative and we have to keep searching for a cause?