Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Are The Extent Of Food Intolerances?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 jbunds

jbunds

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

i am not able to eat wheat rice corn soy dairy or eggs, and maybe something else im not sure? i have been off of wheat for almost 5 years (except for beer cause it never bothered me before) and the last ones ive phased out over the last year. the last week or two i have been getting gut pains again! and i am starting to get a little worried. how deep do these intolerances go? for instance if i cant eat soy can i eat soy lecithin? or corn syrup? or soy oil? corn starch? or maltodextrin? is there gluten remaining in these products? or is it just that they are hard to break down? i feel like i am at a huge loss here i cant afford insurance or a doctor, ive been feeling great since cutting all of these things out of my diet but im wondering if even eating something that is derived from one of those things is setting me back? help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

The beer is full of gluten.
That could be enough to keep your intestines from being able to digest or absorb all of those other things.
Even if you only drink it once in a while.
Millions of villi are destroyed by ingesting gluten even in tiny amounts.
It means your antibodies are always reacting.

I don't think you will be able to resolve those other intolerances until you get rid of gluten.
The damage continues until you eliminate all trace gluten and it doesn't sound like you have.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

Sometimes a substance in one form is not tolerated while in another it is. It is a matter of experimentation. Be very strict on eliminating it all at first, and then you can experiment around the edges. I have discovered recently that while all other forms of soy still bother me, I can now tolerate soy lecithin which has brought lots of new foods back into play (like chocolate :D ). Also with corn, for me the more highly refined it is the better it is tolerated, so that while anything that retains any part of the skin of the kernel is poison, highly refined corn starch in baked products is tolerated and a little corn syrup sweetener is now okay. But you have to get rid of them all at first, in my experience, to give your body a chance to forget the bad experiences. Another thing I have discovered is that while potato starch used to really bother me, I can now have a couple of slices of Udi's bread without paying the price (this after a couple of years of eliminating ALL potato)

So pay your penalties up front, be very strict in getting rid of offending foods at first and who knows, after a year or two you may be able to tolerate limited quantities in some form..
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 jbunds

jbunds

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

thanks a bunch! i have already cut out beer, i did in december. i was pretty much just in denial i think ha. potatoes i dont have a problem with i would absolutely die if i couldnt eat potatoes! i am just going to cut back and be even more strict like you said, avoiding ANYTHING that has any of those words in front of it, and go from there. is eating things like soy lecithin causing more actual damage to the villi? or just hurts cause its hard to break down? i hate to think that i have been causing more damage without knowing! all this is so hard without a seeing a doctor, but from the sounds of it, it might not be much help anyways. this site has really helped me figure things out!! i had no idea that so many other people have the same intolerances i do! thanks again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: