95 replies to this topic

#91 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:37 AM

I'm wondering if temperature might anything to do with how the bread rises? The day I made it I had soup simmering on the stove. I placed the loaf of bread dough near to it on the counter. The warm temp may have made mine rise better?
Also..I know from past experiences with baking cookies, sometimes I had adjust the amount of flour so they turned out right at times. Could humidity enter into the rising issue?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 MerrillC1977

MerrillC1977

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

Merrilic...this has nothing to do with bread...but I just have to say something about your avitar!!! Just love it! In our house we refer to this behavior as "Jelly Spine"!
this usreally happens when my hubby tries to make the cat sit up and do silly things or talk to him ...or when you try to remove said cat from place where cat should not be! Passive resistance...love it!!!

Lol. We have 2 cats in our house. So, we feel your "pain." :)

#93 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

I'm in south central Pennsylvania so no altitude problems here. I'm really puzzled as to why the recipe did not work for me especially after seeing others results.

Sylvia,.....I tried it as well and had the same problem as you did.
Hope you remember me from other threads!

No altitude issues in Florida for sure. B)

#94 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

Sylvia,.....I tried it as well and had the same problem as you did.
Hope you remember me from other threads!

No altitude issues in Florida for sure. B)

I sure do remember you, Marc. I hope you're putting that new KA mixer to good use!!!
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#95 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

I finally bought some potato starch (neighbor didn't have any either), and made a flop of a loaf :lol: But at least I figured out why it flopped and what to try next time.

Number 1, I did a quick rise in a warm turned off oven, until it was above the top of the pan. Then I took it out of the oven while I brought oven up to baking temp. In the meantime, the warm dough continued to rise :o and I am sure over-rose. I also thought that the mixture looked a little too moist (don't know if it had to do with humidity). Anyway, it looked beautiful when I took it out of the oven but then began its slow sink (compounded when I cut into it before it was totally cool -- I know, you warned me.

So loaf number two: used about an ounce less of water, did a slow rise (in the microwave away from draughts) until the crown was about 1/2 inch above top of pan, and had oven temp ready to go. It rose about an inch to inch and a half during baking, was evenly golden on outside. I checked it with a skewer and it was still a bit moist inside, so I took it out of pan and put it back in oven for seven minutes, then when I took it out I cooled it on its side (I was determined that top was not going to sink :lol:). Well, the top didn't sink but the bottom!! did curve upwards a little in the middle :blink: but it was still a great loaf, and I took it with me to an invite lunch yesterday and everyone was suitably impressed. By the way, with a little less water in it the batter did look better, more doughy, less sloppy, more gloppy, less pourable.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#96 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

Here is my report.

I made this bread maybe 4 times. Because I didn't want to pay $10.00 for little box of Kings Arthur gluten free flour, I mixed some flours and made my own bread.
http://www.celiac.co...sandwich-bread/

I have been baking it every 2-3 days.

In meantime I made a different bread- "multigrain" which is I think better because of higher amounts of fiber.

But back to this bread.

By baking so many breads I found this:

1. You need to use only regular yeast. The rapid yeast would make your bread to rise faster, but the final results wouldn't be so good- bread wouldn't be very high and it will sink 5 minutes after you will take it out from oven.

2. I'm also using extra large eggs in the recipe. I will mix them with mixer for about 5 minutes with oil and apple cider.

3. I will mix the dough with the stand mixer for at least 5 minutes on level 5-6 (medium high).

4. I will put dough into a bread pan and leave outside in the kitchen to rise for l hour. If the kitchen is to cold, I will put the unbaked bread on top of burner of my stove/oven for the last 10 minutes when the oven is heating up to 375F. It will help to pull the dough higher.

5. The bread must reach the top of the bread pan and only then I will put it into oven.

6. I will bake it always for 1 hour. When you will take it out, do not stick a knife in the bread. Use tooth pick, if you need to check. Don't cut the warm bread neither. It will sink right down. Do not open your oven to check the bread. Do not take the bread out of the oven and put it back in. The bread will sink right away. You can check on bread maybe 55 minutes later, but my experience is that it's perfectly done after 1 hour.

This bread will sink up to a half of inch when done.

7. Don't put the warm bread into a plastic bag. The steam will make it to sink much more and the bread will get moldy very fast, or turn sour. I will leave it out for 3-4 hours before I will put it in a plastic bag.

If you think that something will happen to it, it will not.

This bread is good for 3-4 days kept only in a plastic bag. You don't have to put it into fridge, if you will use it in that time. I never did. It's gone by that time.

8. One time I tried to bake two loafs at once. One loaf I made 20 minutes later. I didn't knew how to even them up. I set the oven on 350F, but shut it off after 2 minutes. It created a very nice and warm place for the dough to rise faster. I didn't close the oven completely. After about 10 minutes I took it out and heated up oven to 375F and baked for 1 hour.

9. Or I was cooking dinner and placed my bread dough into microwave which is on top of oven. The steam from dinner made it warm. The dough was up much faster. The room temperature is very important for rising.

10.One time I was busy and I didn't put my bread to oven after 1 hour. It was 1 hour and 20 minutes. Hmm. The dough was 1 inch over the top of a bread pan. The bread came out very small. The inside of the bread wasn't so airy neither and the consistance of the bread remained me of Udi's bread.

I hope that these points will help you to bake better bread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: