5 replies to this topic

#1 HomoLulu

HomoLulu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

I was diagnosed as a Celiac a year ago. Doing very well since then! I am having a serious problem and need some feedback.

Twice in the past year I have had a very strange allergic reaction after eating. My face gets very red, I break out in hives, and my throat feels tight. The first time, I was eating at an Indian restaurant. The food was not too spicy. I have also never had any problem eating spicy food before.

I went to the hospital just as a precaution, since my throat was tight. They gave me some benadryl and sent me to an allergist. Since then, it happened once again after eating one VERY spicy chicken wing. For days after my eyes were red, as well. The allergy tests came back as negative for dust, cats, most food, etc. The doctors have no idea why I am having this reaction, and what in the food could be setting it off.

Have any of you had such a reaction after eating, and figured out what it is? Are there any food allergies like this that Celiacs tend to have? I thought of MSG, but I also eat Chinese food and don't have a problem so far. I also eat other spicy food and have not had this reaction. I am at a loss and don't want to push this allergy to the point where I really have trouble breathing, but I have no idea what is setting it off!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 unglued

unglued

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

I find that I react to nightshades: tomatoes, potatoes, peppers (all peppers except black). I used to eat tons of it but now I can't have any. Even a little is too much for me now.

You may want to cut these out for awhile and see how it goes?

#3 paulaann15

paulaann15

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

That happens to me when I eat shellfish.

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

I agree about possibly nightshades. Watch out for chili peppers, paprika, tomato, etc.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 beebs

beebs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

This happens to a friend when he eats chilli - he can literally feel his throat close - although he has never been not able to breathe,,,yet!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#6 auzzi

auzzi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

This is me: "Oral allergy syndrome or OAS is a type of food allergy classified by a cluster of allergic reactions in the mouth in response to eating certain (usually fresh) fruits, nuts, and vegetables that typically develops in adult hay fever sufferers ... fresh coriander does it to me ..

It's in the mouth, and slightly down the throat, it feels like it's going to close over. Depending upon how much you actually eat before the symptoms mainfest, the face goes bright red, and the itching starts: under the hair, and somtimes at odd spots over the body. A maximum dose of a good antihistamine does the trick - always have someone watch you in case you get into difficulties. Its a weird thing, and very little is known about it ..

I'm a latent coeliac, with other autoimmune diseases, who suffers from hayfever ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: