2 replies to this topic

#1 Tennis229

Tennis229

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

Hello everyone! I have recently started a gluten-free diet because I've become so fed up with taking medication for problems which I'm pretty sure are directly related to my intolerance to gluten/dairy. I've been diagnosed with ADD (which I'm pretty sure I don't have), I've had gallbladder, bladder, and gastrointestinal problems my whole life, and the past few years I've had a consistent bout of fatigue, brain fog, and memory loss. To say the least, I've been fed up and am finally sticking to a Gluten-free Casein-free diet in an attempt to feel normal and healthy again. I've been on the diet for 2 weeks now and I just have a few questions for those who have taken this path before. 1. Did you notice dizziness in the first weeks of starting the diet? (I've been so dizzy at times that I can barely stand up). 2. Did anyone notice an increased sensitivity to caffeine (specifically to coffee)? (Before going gluten-free I could drink 3 cups of coffee without noticing a difference, now I just drink a few sips and I'm bouncing off the walls). 3. Did anyone have increased gastrointestinal problems (diarrhea, stomach pains, gas) in the first weeks of going gluten-free?

Sorry for the incredibly long post. Even though going Gluten-free Casein-free is extremely difficult (I'm also living in a foreign country which adds another layer of difficulty), and I'm just looking to communicate with others who have gone through this before. I'm still not certain if dairy and gluten are the only culprits, but I'm excited to see if this diet can make a difference :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

Your post isn't too long at all :) welcome!
I felt horrid when I first went gluten free. Part was withdrawal and part was that I tried some gluten free products that didn't sit right with me.
I've gotten the vertigo (dizziness) from medications and I've also gotten it seemingly randomly. I just got it the other day, actually. I was near the end of my gluten challenge and was given a gluten free treat at a gluten-free meeting. I normally don't eat things with sugar, any grains or stuff like xanthan gum but I
Thought I'm already such a mess, might as well. I started feeling weird half way through so I threw it out. I went to bed, and woke up with vertigo that didn't go away for hours.
I guess my point is that if you've been eating substitute products there may be a new to you ingredient causing the vertigo.
Check the labels for anything out of the ordinary!
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#3 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

Ps my add got much better gluten-free and came back worse than ever during my two month challenge. Same with my nonceliac daughter. My son's ADHD cleared up as did his extreme dyslexia. This really does affect our minds!
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: