This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Familiar With Abnormally High Levels Of Albumin?

Kamma

Kamma Explorer

Is anyone familiar with or knowledgeable about abnormally high levels of albumin in the urine? As well as a high level of albumin / creatine ratio in the urine(microalbumin)?

I've just got my test results back and everything is in the normal range except those. It is my neurologist who is spearheading this as my regular G.P.is a mindless idiot (I had high albumin a year ago from test results the GP took but all he said was, "well..there's many reasons why you could have protein in the urine". When my neurologist heard that, he ordered some more blood work and viola, my albumin is still high.

I am having a hard time understanding what causes this. Could anyone enlighten me or put me onto a good website that explains it?

Thanks,

Kamma

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ValeriaZ Rookie

Hello,

Yes my son does have this.

tThe albumine leakage to urine from blood is called nephrotic syndrome (there are a few variations of this - minimal change disease, FSGS etc)

Are you on gluten free diet?

Gluten intolerance can cause this definitely (and leaky gut generally).

Proteine leakage is a very bad symptom and if you do nothing you would have oedema, and if you do nothing for a long time, this could end up with ESRD (end stage renal disease).

I don't want to scare you, but this is a very grave state.

Basically you should go to a nephrologist. They would do a biopsy and put you on steroids (prednisone). Be aware that they deny all relation to food intolerances. but people do have very good results controlling this with diet / proper supplements.

My knowledge path was opposite to yours - we began with nephrotic symptoms (high proteinuria and oedema) and then I came to gluten problem and hence here.

Good place to know about NS:

Open Original Shared Link

But as a first attempt (before steroids) you need to eliminate all you food allergens. Most common are gluten, caseine, soy.

Also as kidneys invoilved, all animal proteins are very bad for kidneys.

Wishing you health

Kamma Explorer

Thank you, Valeria. I'm sorry to hear about your son. Is he doing okay?

They have just caught the albumin levels a few weeks ago and I am now doing blood glucose tests. I think that's the first line of inquiry when you have albumin? At least from what I have read? It's my neurologist who is ordering this after my regular GP dismissed the ablumin results from a year ago as, "that could be from anything..."

So a year later, I still have increased albumin levels and my ankles, hands and face get swollen.

This one is frightening as I don't know what else I can do differently in terms of changing. i'm off everything except vegetables and fruit. I will have to stop the meat too! I need to talk to a nutritionist to figure this all out.

I will look at the link you sent. Thank you again.

Do you know what is the linkage between celiac and kidney damage?

ValeriaZ Rookie

Do you know what is the linkage between celiac and kidney damage?

Well my understanding this link is leaky gut.

Gluten causes leaky gut (=gut inflammation and perforation) - so unprocessed proteins from food leak into bloodstream where they should not be, and the body starts fighting them as invaders - so this is a constant immune attack, ending up with autoimmune diseases - any sort depending at which organ the antibodies settle. In your case and my son's these are kidneys. These antibodies start attacking kidney tissues and in longer prospective cause sclerotization of kidney glomeruli (those small particles that do filter blood).

Leaky gut is affecting all the systems of the body in fact, because with damaged willi you cannot produce hormons that send signals to pancreas to produce enzymes - so no enzymes, malabsorbtion - many vicious circles ending up with pancreas and liver malfunction. And general inflammation. Any kind of inflammation is very bad for kidneys.

Leaky gut is a consequence (well you never know about chicken and eggs in fact) - ok related to following triggers:

(1) food and environmental intolerances / allerges - in the first place gluten and its cross-reactions - caseine and coffee

(2) candida and other pathogenic flora overgrowth (like blastocystis hominis) and mutation of candida from yeast to mucosal form (they have roots that drill the wall og the small intestine)

(3) non-steroid antiinflammatory. Things like ibuprofen are the killer for kidneys especially!!!!

(4) antibiotics

(5) heavy metal pollution (incl those coming from candida overgrowth) - in the first place mercury

Look, these are a couple of advices based on my experience:

(1) buy urine albumin dipsticks - this will be a real device in your hand to measuer your body's reaction to any food / environmental aggressors

(2) make a diary - put anything you ate / drank / do - and reaction on proteine spillage in urine

(3) diet - gluten, caseine free is a must, soy is very bad, animal proteins - look how you react. based on dipstick and diary method, remove all your allergens. Of course , everything should be organic and self-prepared. Tke care with innocent things like shpinac and canola oil! (for us they are strongest allergens). Even lineseed and sesam are allergens for us. Buy only good bottled water! Never tap water. No refined sugar (and generally reduce sugar) - not to feed candida.

(4) take caution with environmental stuff - black mold, dust mites, pesticides, etc

(5) no NSAIDs!!! avoid antibiotics where possible - for my son this is the strongest trigger to proteinuria

(6) take care with swimming - cold ocean water and swimming pool (I don't know why - because of temp or highly packed with chemicals) - strong triggers for my son

(7) now very important. Supplements. They basically fall into several groups

(a) antioxidants - to remove heavy metals and to help your pancreas - grape seed extract, resveratrol, milk thistle (helps liver)

(B) antiinflammatory - fish oil or cod liver oil (make sure it is molecularily filtered to remove mercury) and absolutely curcumin (=turmeric)

© Vit group B, additional D, selenium (L-selenomethionine is best - well this is antioxidant), magnesium, calcium (best is in form of citrate - this absorbs better and additionally is great to remove oxalates), zinc (start with small doses to see how you react)

(d) things to balance the immune system: colostrum, vit B5 (panthotenic acid or calcium pantothenicum)

(e) absolutely a must: good probiotics and good digestive enzymes

(d) absolutely a must to treat leaky gut - L-glutamine

(f) additionally to fight candida and other parasites - black walnut, oregano oil and grapefruit seed extract.

THis looks a long list, but all this is intended to break a system of vicious cycles in this autoimmune state.

Because the official road - steroids, then immunosuppressants - lead nowhere.

Wishing you health.

Archived