6 replies to this topic

#1 Annie June

Annie June

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

I'm thinking I have a dairy issue now and I'm trying to sort it out. Can anyone tell me if lactose fee and casein free are the same thing? If they are not, what is the differences. If I'm lactose intolerant can I still have products with casein or the other way around? I'm so tired of feeling icky and when I went gluten free I started feeling ALOT better but there is still something going on and I suspect milk products have something to do with it...

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Lactose is a milk sugar.
Casein is a milk protein.

Lactaid helps replace the enzyme you'd be lacking to digest lactose.

Casein is a part of milk, and so far they don't make a pill/workaround.

Yes, if you only have a problem with lactose (and lactaid helps) you can take a pill and eat dairy products.

If its casein you have to avoid milk products.

If you are newly gluten-free, the milk problem may or may not be permanent. Sometimes, after the villi repair themselves, you can process milk again.

I'm sure I got something wrong in that explanation....

http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0001321/
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 dustynbob

dustynbob

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

I has actually been found that while there are several different proteins in cow milk (casein) the one that MOST are allergic to are the beta casein, which it appears are newly formed and the inbreeding of dairy cattle seems to have mutated the A2 beta casein "Beta-casein is a naturally produced protein in cows milk which comes in two variants, A1 and A2.

The beta-casein family constitutes up to 45% of the casein of bovine milk and is quite complex. In addition to A1 and A2, a number of related, but rarer, sub variants have been published to date including A3, B, C, D, E, F, G, H1, H2 and I. There may also be other types that have not yet been discovered/reported." Most people do NOT have reactions to A2 caseins; however the allergen test is for A1, that which is found to be in all commercial dairies. Only a few small dairies are producing A2 milk.

#4 floral

floral

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

I am extemely lactose intolerant and have been since the age of 18 (I'm 53 now). I just switched to Soy Vanilla and it's wonderful. I can have a small amount of shredded Mozzarella and I do well with cream cheese as well. Experiment and see what you can handle and check out all soy cheeses and products and substitute as much as possible. I always say, "cow's milk is for baby cows."

#5 TomC

TomC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have the same problem. What about whey protein? Is it as common to have a reaction to whey as casein?

#6 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm also trying to figure out, still, if I'm intolerant to lactose or to casein (leaning toward casein). When I eat milk products (unfortunately, including goat and sheep, though not as bad as cow) I get similar symptoms to glutening, but more of a brain-fog rather than stomach issues.
Lactose intolerance supposedly causes more stomach problems (cramping/bloating/diarrhea/etc), and some people can handle goat/sheep's milk (which has less or a different kind of lactose?)
Something like that
I drink almond milk, since soy also bothers me. I've been avoiding dairy for almost 6 months now, and have generally been feeling better.

Try some lactose-free stuff and see if it makes a difference. If not, go dairy free.

Peggy

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Most hard cheeses are lactose free because the cheese making process eliminates the lactose sugar. The soft cheese are not nessecarily lactose free though.. Things like cheese balls or Velveeta often have lactose.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: