Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Lactose And Casein ...

7 posts in this topic

I'm thinking I have a dairy issue now and I'm trying to sort it out. Can anyone tell me if lactose fee and casein free are the same thing? If they are not, what is the differences. If I'm lactose intolerant can I still have products with casein or the other way around? I'm so tired of feeling icky and when I went gluten free I started feeling ALOT better but there is still something going on and I suspect milk products have something to do with it...

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated :)

Ads by Google:

Lactose is a milk sugar.

Casein is a milk protein.

Lactaid helps replace the enzyme you'd be lacking to digest lactose.

Casein is a part of milk, and so far they don't make a pill/workaround.

Yes, if you only have a problem with lactose (and lactaid helps) you can take a pill and eat dairy products.

If its casein you have to avoid milk products.

If you are newly gluten-free, the milk problem may or may not be permanent. Sometimes, after the villi repair themselves, you can process milk again.

I'm sure I got something wrong in that explanation....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001321/

I has actually been found that while there are several different proteins in cow milk (casein) the one that MOST are allergic to are the beta casein, which it appears are newly formed and the inbreeding of dairy cattle seems to have mutated the A2 beta casein "Beta-casein is a naturally produced protein in cows

I am extemely lactose intolerant and have been since the age of 18 (I'm 53 now). I just switched to Soy Vanilla and it's wonderful. I can have a small amount of shredded Mozzarella and I do well with cream cheese as well. Experiment and see what you can handle and check out all soy cheeses and products and substitute as much as possible. I always say, "cow's milk is for baby cows."

I have the same problem. What about whey protein? Is it as common to have a reaction to whey as casein?

I'm also trying to figure out, still, if I'm intolerant to lactose or to casein (leaning toward casein). When I eat milk products (unfortunately, including goat and sheep, though not as bad as cow) I get similar symptoms to glutening, but more of a brain-fog rather than stomach issues.

Lactose intolerance supposedly causes more stomach problems (cramping/bloating/diarrhea/etc), and some people can handle goat/sheep's milk (which has less or a different kind of lactose?)

Something like that

I drink almond milk, since soy also bothers me. I've been avoiding dairy for almost 6 months now, and have generally been feeling better.

Try some lactose-free stuff and see if it makes a difference. If not, go dairy free.

Peggy

Most hard cheeses are lactose free because the cheese making process eliminates the lactose sugar. The soft cheese are not nessecarily lactose free though.. Things like cheese balls or Velveeta often have lactose.