3 replies to this topic

#1 mark5767

mark5767

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Baja Sol is one of my “safe” places to eat, but I got smacked down recently after eating lunch there. This could be just a coincidence, but I wanted to see if anyone has thoughts on best practices for dining there.

I was told the fish tacos are “breaded” with corn tortilla ingredients, so I assumed that would safe. I ordered these on corn tortillas and they came this way:
Tortilla Crusted White Fish, Cabbage, Onion/Cilantro Mix & Southwestern Sauce.
I am also now dairy free, so the Southwestern Sauce might have not been such a grand idea. But I experienced symptoms severe enough that I don’t think it was just a dairy exposure, it seems like something more.

Anyway, I have eaten safely at Baja many times, I usually get steak, beef or chicken tacos on a corn tortilla and have had no adverse issues. I also typically eat the corn chips with their house salsa and for a side dish the Baja Rice again with no apparent problems.

So my main suspect at this point is the fish tacos since that was something different from my typical meal there. Does anyone have thoughts on whether these contain gluten or are particularly susceptible to CC? Thanks!
Diagnosed with celiac disease 3/13/2012.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

But what makes the breading stick???

I wouldn't be surprised if they use a wash, or add some flour - and either don't think about it or don't know it.

And are they frying them? Is it a dedicated fryer?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,811 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Are they a chain restaurant ? Perhaps you would get answers from emailing the corporate office?

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#4 mark5767

mark5767

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for your responses. I'm glad I took the time to write this up a little, because in hindsight it seems like I made a pretty risky move. I did ask about the ingredients of the breading, but of course there are several steps along the way including the frying which could be susceptible to CC.

I think it's best just to stay away from this menu item for the forseeable future. Contacting the corporate office is a great idea (they are a chain) and also a more detailed conversation with a local manager on the preparation process would be in good order.

Now that I've had a pretty bad reaction I'm kicking myself for being careless, I guess it's called learning the hard way! Thanks again!
Diagnosed with celiac disease 3/13/2012.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: