4 replies to this topic

#1 phil1

phil1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

After going “gluten free” several years ago, I felt much better. But many symptoms still exist. After reevaluating what I’ve been eating, I realized that I could be getting small traces of gluten in some of my foods… beer, blue cheese, wasabi, etc,. So now I’m on a mission to be 100% gluten free for real this time so that I can feel 100% normal again (that would be a dream come true!) So my question is… how necessary is it to get different eating utensils and pots and pans than my stepson and wife who do eat gluten? Is that a major part of being completely gluten free? Is Gluten really so toxic that I’m still getting traces of gluten from the fork my wife used even after it went through the dishwasher?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

I can only tell you what my nutritionist who has celiac told me. She said that a dishwasher is enough to clean the utensils. But she said to get a new toaster and muffin tins for sure. No matter how you clean them, you just can't get the gluten out. If you use old muffin tins, you must use the paper liners. I think you are supposed to replace any cutting boards or pans with obvious scratches. I have also heard to replace stainers if you use them with regular food. Those collanders can't be cleaned very well.

#3 benXX

benXX

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

...After reevaluating what I've been eating, I realized that I could be getting small traces of gluten in some of my foods… beer, blue cheese, wasabi, etc,. ...

That is gluten free beer you are referring to?
Ben (58)

Diagnosed Celiac 12-Apr-2012
Dairy intolerant, B12 malabsorption, Bile acid malabsorption.
Osteopania
Lifetime of misdiagnoses.

2008-2011 Lived in Thailand, almost symptom free.
Now only eat Thai food.
Easy to cook - gluten/dairy free - delicious

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Just think of gluten as rat poison. Is a little bit of poison okay? nope. ;)

"Gluten free" means making your diet and home as FREE from cross contamination as possible.

Here are a few links that discuss what is suggested regarding cc issues. They explain that YES, you need a separate colander, cutting board, toaster and you should not use scratched teflon pans, etc. Porous surfaces are what you need to replace.

http://celiacdisease...scontaminat.htm

Hidden sources of gluten:
http://www.practical...wiakArticle.pdf

Beer is not gluten-free, unless it is a gluten-free beer.

Blue cheese made from starter bread molds is not a common practice in the US anymore, but certainly, check the labels. If wheat is an ingredient, it should be listed.

Hope you feel better ASAP.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 krystynycole

krystynycole

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

My husband eats 99.9% gluten free with me. If your family feels the need to eat gluten, they can always use paper plates. A new toaster is a must! Even a few crumbs from a butter container can make me sick.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: