Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Question From A Dinosaur

2 posts in this topic

OK, I feel a bit stupid, but having never done any "social media" like Facebook, etc., I must confess that I don't know what to do when somebody "friends" me. I have had few really nice people here do just that and I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do with it. I mean, I have plenty of PM conversations with folks, but what does "friending" someone do that is different? Also, a few folks have put messages on my page, and I don't know what to do with them either. Am I supposed to write a message on their page in return?

I don't want any of you "friends" to think I'm stuck up. I just don't know how I'm supposed to respond.

Now, where is the emoticon with the embarrassed red cheeks? I need that one for this.

Ads by Google:

Friending just shows that you're friends with a certain person, you can write on their page if you'd like to answer them or pm or whatever or you can just leave a little message on their page, BUT idk how it works here but on fb if you don't want everyone to read what you're saying then don't put it on a person's page, cause then it's public Haha . I highly doubt that anyone thinks you're stuck up! LOL no worries!! Hey I found your emoticon -------> 😊☺😊☺😊

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• How do you know what's causing what?
      I am in same boat, yesterday my stomach was churning and bloated and I don't know what the cause was.  How about keeping a food diary? Just note what you ate and how you feel. A few days may be sufficient to discern a pattern, either some rogue product or a previously unknown intolerance. I have read that after gluten is removed further intolerances which were hidden can become apparent.  I don't know whether you could cut yourself some slack from a full vegan approach whilst your body heals? If not, maybe you could substitute say milk with coconut milk or similar to give your body a break whilst keeping calcium levels high? If you join coeliac uk you can check your sauces etc on their gluten-free database, they'll also send you a book which became my bible until I got a hang of which brands I could eat safely. Finally, have you excluded cross contamination from pots and pans, toasters, shared condiments etc?  Good luck!
    • Blood results - odd
      My results were similar – Low ferritin but normal B12. Although my ferritin levels were low, my Iron serum levels were normal. So might be worth getting your iron levels checked out to see if you have any deficiency in Iron. Also I was deficient in Vitamin D, which is perhaps more of a problem in England rather than the US - Our milk isn’t supplemented with vit D and we obviously have less sunshine.
      Hi Kam, If you are going to continue the celiac testing with an endoscopy, you need to keep eating gluten until it's done. It can be hard for vegetarians to keep their vitamin D levels up.   This Vitamin D  Council link has some good info on ways to boost your levels. https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/
    • Blood results - odd
      Your ferritin was very low!  My result was a 2 when I was diagnosed.    I hard a hard time breathing and the fatigue was awful due to low hemoglobin levels.  But after going gluten free and taking iron for a few months, I quickly recovered from iron-deficiency anemia.  I still have hemologobin levels that are slightly below range due to Thalassemia which is genetic and my body has adjusted for it.   My B12 and folate levels are  super high.  My B12 is over 2000!  Yeah, I googled and ruled out cancers, etc.  Looks like some of us do not process man-made B12 often included in supplements.  I opted for natural sources of B-12 and folate and my levels have come down a bit.   Let us know your results.  Read the Newbie 101 section under "Coping" within this forum for tips.   Be patient.  It can take months, to years to feel good.  But it will happen!    
      Welcome to the forum!   Well.....in theory you should be able to heal within a few months (grow new villi, etc.).  The reality is that it takes so much longer -- like a year or two (I kid you not!)  Why?  celiac disease can damage more than just the gut.  Depending on what was damaged (nerves, bones, etc) can impact healing time.  The gluten-free diet has a very steep learning curve.  It's not just giving up gluten.  It's avoiding cross contamination.  Becoming an expert in reading labels.  Learning to avoid foods processed on shared lines in a facility.  Then there are intolerances that most celiacs develop.  The most common ones is lactose.  Why?  The villi tips release the enzymes to digest lactose.  No villi tips?  Then you can not digest lactose.  Often this is temporary, but if you are one of the many adults in this world, you might already be lactose intolerant or might become so as you age.   Other intolerances that members often report include corn or soy.   Some celiacs react to oats, even gluten free.  So avoid oats for six months.  So, try cutting out dairy for a few days and see how you feel.  Then add in those items that have the least lactose:  hard cheese, butter, yogurt and see how you feel.   Avoid eating out for six months until you have seen some improvement.   Read our Newbie 101 thread under coping for more ideas!  Hope you feel better soon.   
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ree8080