Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Symptoms (Or Lack There Of)

2 posts in this topic

I have another post regarding my diagnosis, but I wanted to post my symptoms questions separately because the other post was so long. I have been gluten free for about 6 months, but I haven't noticed any changes in the way I feel. I don't think I felt bad before going gluten free. I know that some people don't necessarily have symptoms or maybe have symptoms that are hard to notice. I think that makes it difficult in knowing if you are taking in any gluten. There has been one time that I'm 100% sure I could have experienced cross contamination. This occurred when I used the non gluten free peanut butter jar at home, not realizing that was the jar I was using. I didn't notice any symptoms after this happened. Also, I would imagine that at some point in the last 6 months when I've been out to eat, I've been exposed to gluten. I just have a hard time believing that I am perfect at never accidentally eating something that has been in contact with gluten.

So, I feel a little frustrated because I could be eating something that is still damaging my intestines, but I'll never know because I don't recognize any symptoms. Maybe I'm not in tune with my body enough? I was gluten free when I went through my testing (You can read my other post to understand my testing process.), so I wonder if I should try to eat a normal diet for a short time to see if I notice a difference. I don't think I will though.

Is there any one else who has not noticed a difference after going gluten free? How do you ensure that you aren't taking in any gluten? Or do you just do the best you can when ordering at restaurants?

Ads by Google:

Hi,

Yes, there are other people on the board who are "silent celiacs". I am not sure how they deal with it, except to just be careful. Not an easy answer I guess. Maybe some of them will jump in to discuss. If you search on "silent celiac" you may find other threads about it.