Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Glutened Just From Stitting In A Pizza Place?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 Calmom

Calmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

I am in pain right now. I am pretty sure I got glutened. Earlier today I had a meeting at a pizza place. Obviously I didn't eat or even drink anything while there. Could it have been from inhaling flour in the air? I never considered my self hyper sensitive. Occasionally my two non celiac children will have poptarts or other gluten containing products in the house that they can fix with out my contacting those items, but it has been at least a month. There is no other way I could have been glutened in the last few days.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

Perhaps from crumbs on the table, benches? I find pizza parlors frequently have greasy seats and tables. All it would take is touching a surface with a crumb...getting it on papers, purse, etc....and it making its way into your mouth.

Flour in the air is a possibility, especially if you were near the kitchen.

Or, you could have that nasty stomach bug I've had...if my son wouldn't have had it also I would have thought it was gluten.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

I worked in a pizza place for 8 months before I went gluten free. Of course, I ate tons of pizza and pasta during that time, so I always joke that the restaurant caused my Celiac.
That said, yeah, it's definitely possible that you came into contact with flour without eating anything. If it was a small pizza joint and not a larger restaurant, more likely that there's flour in the air, or things aren't cleaned as well.
Or you've got PricklyPear's cold.

Hope you feel better soon!

Peg

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#4 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Probably CC from every surface. Benches, chairs, tables. And flour in the air too. I once had a meeting at Panera Bread. I arrived early to scope out the seats. All covered in crumbs and I wiped them with a napkin the best I could. I decided not to even drink anything during the meeting as I could see flour dust on every table. I never noticed this before I went gluten free. I can see how easy it would be to get glutened in a pizza place. Hope you feel better soon.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: