arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Any Celiacs Out There Have Their Gallbladders Removed (Cholecystectomy)?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

I highly suspect my gallbladder is an issue, however I do not have stones or anything visible and I do not want that sucker out unless absolutely necessary! I do not have severe pain or anything that would lead me to act urgently, in fact the symptoms have been hanging around for years now. It is what got me a celiac diagnosis 7 months ago. I had bloating and gas, those were my basic symptoms. I have been gluten free 7 months now and have improved in several areas (some I never knew were related) but still have occasional gas and pressure under my ribs. My 6 month checkup showed celiac antibodies are normal now, including being neg on endomysial antibody. My pos numbers were very high at diagnosis.

At that appt, my GI suggested giving it more healing time, another 6 months, focusing on digestive enzymes, probiotics, and watching the fat connection- such as do I feel crappy after a heavy dessert, etc. and eating more chicken and fish vs red meat, although I have struggled with low iron so I have to watch my intake of iron containing meats. I think I eat too much cheese, which I need to cut out.

She said she would do a HIDA scan but it would hurt like hell if I indeed have a function issue with the gallbladder. She scared me and I don't want to do it! She also said that function test is not always accurate, there are people that test 80-90% function and need that gallbladder out in time- on the flip side, some have 10-20% function tests and don't have a real problem, some still have issues after removal. Her basic advice is I should have pain before having it removed.

I was hospitalized for 8 days 6 years ago when my appendix ruptured and I was in septic shock- I almost died. My daughter was only 2 and it was a scary time for all of us, and a horrible recovery- I had laparoscopic removal before they knew I was septic, had to then have open abdominal surgery that night. 8 weeks of antibiotics, infected incision, you name it, it happened, and I am certain my celiac stemmed from that. ("Activated")

So, I am so leery of surgery unless I 100% need it. For now, trying to get healthier and focus on healing. Hoping for the best!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: