3 replies to this topic

#1 Mom2_2girls

Mom2_2girls

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:16 AM

My 5 year old daughter had an endoscopy just under a month ago (which confirmed celiac). That day we went gluten-free. The first week she was super cranky and we thought maybe it was withdrawal but looked forward to her feeling better... especially her moods. It feels like things have only gotten worse since going gluten-free. How is that possible?

Last night for example she woke up kicking and screaming. Turned out her tummy was hurting so badly, for a while I started worrying it was her appendix. It seems like in the last 2 weeks she has been getting "stingy" tummy aches. At first I thought it could be from milk but I am not so sure. Yesterday she had no milk. She DID have a chili from a restaurant, that was supposed to be gluten free but I suppose there is no guarantee a crump didn't get in there.

Is it possible that after being gluten-free for such a short time her reactions could get worse so quickly? I am not even convinced that she has been 100% gluten-free. We did a big clean out and have made our house gluten-free. Got a new toaster... cleaned all the cupboards etc. However I have found a few things that we missed.

I am feeling really overwhelmed. I thought it would be a lot easier and that we wouldn't be just a couple weeks in and be having these kinds of issues.

I would love and thoughts or feedback. Did anyone go through something similar?

Many Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

It is possible she was glutened. Another thing to look at is what has increased in her diet? There is a possibility the new thing you have replaced gluten with is a problem. I would keep a detailed food log and symptoms to see if there is a correlation.

#3 Mr Happy

Mr Happy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

Poor thing, I hope she gets better soon... Personally, I wouldn't eat out for a while.

Hope things improve soon.

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

She probably still is. Also, remember, foods that are spicy or heavy on a stomach are not really good when your healing. Stick with things that are on the mild side for a while.

Another thing is she could still be going through withdrawl. Heck, it took me a good two months to get over it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: