2 replies to this topic

#1 JackieC

JackieC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

My daughter tested negative for celiac disease after her first blood test. Her symptoms all point to celiacs. I do not want to put her through a biopsy at this point (she is 4). She seems to be reacting favorably to her new diet. I guess I am in denial. It is so difficult to feed a picky 4 yr old who can eat anything. Now throw this into the equation and I just don't know what to feed her. I went to the grocery store and was so discouraged reading the labels. Everything contains wheat. There is a gluten free section, but I am finding that a lot of the items are snacks and not "real food".

How many blood tests have you had before you tested positive? Also, if you are eliminating gluten from your diet, how could the test ever be positive?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

You have to be ON gluten to test the blood for Celiac (except the genetic test but that isn't diagnostic). We did three blood tests because we went to several Dr's but they were all +. Maybe check out Dr. Fasanos five diagnostic points to get an idea of what they look for. A + biopsy OR = blood work is needed for a Celiac dx but there are gluten sensitivities which don't hit all of the marks. If there is an improvement on the diet, stay on it!

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

My kids all tested negative but my oldest son has some sort of food sensitivity so he is now gluten-free and almost milk free. He has less stomach aches and has gained about 2lbs in these couple of weeks that he has been gluten-free. I'm not sure if it coincidence, but he's staying gluten-free so won't be tested again any time soon.

His brothers are also gluten-free and one is very very picky. I let him snack on chex, and he has a slice of gluten-free bread a day, but that is the only processed foods he eats. I have to spend a lot more time cooking (gluten-free pancakes each morning with bee pollen, flax, whey protein added for health, and home made chicken nuggets a fe wtimes a week) but it's worth it.

Best wishes.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: