Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Water Urticaria

5 posts in this topic

I'm new and I am trying to see if all these crazy things I have are related... Another crazy thing I have is water urticaria. Every time I shower I break out in hives! Could this be related?

Ads by Google:

Welcome!

I don't have a problem unless it is very hot - hot baths, not showers can trigger my urticaria.

My intolerance of heat/humidity and exercise in weather over 65 has improved at times since I have been gluten-free, but never gone away completely.

You will likely see improvement in many symptoms that you either didn't tie to celiac or you simply dismissed as "a little this or a little that" - I know I have.

I don't full on break out in hives. Yet. I wouldn't be shocked if it just starts happening eventually though since my itching has gotten progressively worse over the past few years. Being gluten free hasn't helped. My doctor has recommended a good lotion such as Eucerin immediately upon exiting the shower and before becoming criminally insane from itching. There are a variety of topical itch relief options available, although they just lead to stuff on your skin that needs washed off.

I try to lead a life as clean as possible and shower as little as humanly possible without being gross. That may sound gross by itself, but it keeps me from being crazy. There is simply no freaking way I would shower every day, I'd be insane. I go for 2-3 times a week. I work out on those days only right before I shower. Other than that I live a more or less sedentary life which probably isn't particularly healthy, but it's particularly unsmelly. During the summer, to always get every other day time between showers I'll damp wash myself in sweaty areas. I should point out that I also don't work a "regular" job every day, so I don't have to worry about offending people besides my husband or MIL who can frankly bugger off.

bthack - I don't suffer from water urticaria as you do but I have a similar allergy, I break out in terrible hives if I walk or run or exercise in cold weather. I went gluten-free 2.5 years ago and this problem greatly diminished. I was shocked, to say the least.. I don't know if your allergy is related to gluten or not but it is certainly worth taking a further look into.

Jane

My older brother had this (he doesn't have celiac or gluten problems that we know of) and it finally just went away for no clear reason after a year or two. It was the first time I hear of anyone being allergic to water!

Hope you figure it out soon!