4 replies to this topic

#1 bthack

bthack

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

I'm new and I am trying to see if all these crazy things I have are related... Another crazy thing I have is water urticaria. Every time I shower I break out in hives! Could this be related?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Welcome!

I don't have a problem unless it is very hot - hot baths, not showers can trigger my urticaria.

My intolerance of heat/humidity and exercise in weather over 65 has improved at times since I have been gluten-free, but never gone away completely.

You will likely see improvement in many symptoms that you either didn't tie to celiac or you simply dismissed as "a little this or a little that" - I know I have.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

I don't full on break out in hives. Yet. I wouldn't be shocked if it just starts happening eventually though since my itching has gotten progressively worse over the past few years. Being gluten free hasn't helped. My doctor has recommended a good lotion such as Eucerin immediately upon exiting the shower and before becoming criminally insane from itching. There are a variety of topical itch relief options available, although they just lead to stuff on your skin that needs washed off.

I try to lead a life as clean as possible and shower as little as humanly possible without being gross. That may sound gross by itself, but it keeps me from being crazy. There is simply no freaking way I would shower every day, I'd be insane. I go for 2-3 times a week. I work out on those days only right before I shower. Other than that I live a more or less sedentary life which probably isn't particularly healthy, but it's particularly unsmelly. During the summer, to always get every other day time between showers I'll damp wash myself in sweaty areas. I should point out that I also don't work a "regular" job every day, so I don't have to worry about offending people besides my husband or MIL who can frankly bugger off.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 JaneWhoLovesRain

JaneWhoLovesRain

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

bthack - I don't suffer from water urticaria as you do but I have a similar allergy, I break out in terrible hives if I walk or run or exercise in cold weather. I went gluten-free 2.5 years ago and this problem greatly diminished. I was shocked, to say the least.. I don't know if your allergy is related to gluten or not but it is certainly worth taking a further look into.

Jane
Gluten free since 2010 when it was suggested that my vertigo/dizzy problems may be from gluten. Tested negative for DH in April of 2012. However I'm not convinced I don't have DH as pictures and description pretty much match what I have.
11/2012 tested positve for 1 of the 2 celiac genes

#5 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

My older brother had this (he doesn't have celiac or gluten problems that we know of) and it finally just went away for no clear reason after a year or two. It was the first time I hear of anyone being allergic to water!

Hope you figure it out soon!

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: