Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Is Going Gluten-Free Right For You? - Long Beach Business Journal - Long Beach News

1 post in this topic

Is Going Gluten-Free Right For You?

Long Beach Business Journal - Long Beach News

Individuals with celiac disease cannot digest gluten protein, so when ingested the immune system reacts by producing antibodies that attack the small intestine and prevent important nutrients from being absorbed into the body, according to the Celiac ...

and more »

View the full article

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I was told by one of my customers at a farmers market I should see about getting a government grant, to expand my gluten free snack line and get a trailer to sell seeds, candied nuts, almond butters, and gluten-free granola at events. Being on a tight budget as is, and selling this stuff so I can afford my own consumption of food is hard enough. So needless to say this idea of getting the trailer on a grant and living my dream of providing gluten-free snacks to others to make life easier for them and being able to set up at events, is very enticing. Now how would I go about doing this is my problem....due to the ataxia and brain damage I have looking at and trying to understand the numbers and legal mumbo jumbo is like trying to read a alien language. Can someone simplify this for me and tell me if it is a good idea or just another dream.
    • Your future has not been taken away.  You just have to be very careful eating out.  I have a handful of restaurants that I trust to cook my food correctly.  I ask a billion questions too (speak with a manager, ask if food is prepared in it's own dedicated facility and if they have dedicated fryers, ask about the workers and the sanitation practices)  If you don't feel comfortable eating after getting answers, then don't eat.  I've been in several social situations with family, friends and work where I've had to settle for a glass of wine.  I will explain why I can't partake if asked.  Honestly the only time I eat out is when I know that it's safe, I'll take my food on trips away from home, or I'll eat before going out with friends/family. As far as the kissing thing you mentioned.  My husband is understanding.  He'll make sure that his mouth is clean, brushed teeth and if he has a doubt he'll kiss my cheek.  It's really not the end of the world, it might feel like it, but it'll get better...  My daughter is 13.  She hasn't had her first kiss, she knows that she'll have to tell whoever it is about her disease.  If it's someone worth having, they will stick around.  Think about it as a way to weed out the bad ones  ...   
    • I see - it's reassuring to know I'm not the only who who's reacted badly to it! Thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated. It can get pretty frustrating but I understand it just takes time.
    • Going private no problem with getting the tests now, adds financial pain to the physical pain but better than 6 month waiting list on the national health service. Just feels like a lot of pain and aggravation to tell me what I already know deep down. Feels like my whole future has been taken away with this and I have a feeling I haven't even seen the half of it yet. Doctor seems to be very relaxed on the concept of needing to worry about cross reactivity, gluten paranoia when eating out etc. yet it seems to be the case for most on there that that's exactly how it is for so many people. Someone tell me I'm wrong... or is that really what life becomes in the cold harsh reality of things?
    • It took me years to be diagnosed.  I've been misdiagnosed with several different things and knew that there was more to it.  I requested to have an egd to test for Celiac's two years ago, my doctor never called me back so I went low gluten from then on.  I still felt like hell because I didn't realize that "everything" has gluten in it....  My daughter became ill back in March.  I went to several different doctors trying to figure out what was causing her to be ill.  Our family doctor said she had gallstones, wanted to immediately do surgery on her.  I refused since she didn't fit the typical signs of a child with gallstones.  I requested a pediatric surgeon and then a pediatric gi dr.  The surgeon was smart enough to say maybe ask the gi dr to test for celiac disease....  Then it clicked.  I was so angry and mad at myself and my dr for not listening to my body for the past several years. Her blood test was negative, but the biopsy was positive.  She went on the gluten free diet.  I then said I wanted to be formally tested.  Blood test was negative, biopsy was positive and they ran the genetic screening.  I am a DQ2 homozygous, cat 8.  My doctor apologized to me over and over.   I have two sons that were tested for their genes, one is a cat 4 and one is a cat 2.  If they start showing signs of the disease they will be tested by way of egd.  Their pediatric gi said that I probably would've died by 40 if I was left undiagnosed.   So in saying all of that, fight for your test.  Listen to your body, but don't stop living.  Use this as a teaching tool.  Help others that don't understand the disease.  It'll be tough but you can do it...
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member