Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Long Does Gluten Stay In You Body? I.e How Long Do The Symptoms Last?

symotoms

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 modarem

modarem

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Hi all,

I was wondering how long it take usually for your body to digest gluten, if you are gluten sensitive/celiac? A few days a go I had some ice-cream that I did not know had gluten. Today is the third day since my consumption and my stomach is still swollen and I have muscle ache. I also feel increasingly uncomfortable everytime I eat any type of food (whole foods) and I notice that my symptoms get perpetuated. Is this normal?

Also, I would appreciate someone clarify why my symptoms are becoming more severe since my diagnosis. Before, I used to only feel uncomfortable everytime I consumed gluten. Today, 1 month into my gluten-free life style, I have become extremely sensitive to the tinniest bits of gluten (if accidentally consumed). My stomach gets swollen, I have back/muscle ache, and today, extremely noxious .

Can you tell im panicking? :)

thanks,

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

Welcome Modarem!

It is not the time to digest that is at issue. When you consume any amount of gluten it starts an immune reaction. It can take several days - even longer for the system to settle down.

You are not imagining that you are becoming more sensitive - it happens to many of us -- before I was finally diagnosed at 43 I ate gluten regularly -- my symptoms were throughout my entire body including my digestive system. Once gluten was removed my digestive system improved and the bloating improved -- my body reacted violently to accidental glutenings in the first few months. I think it is the way our bodies say "hey -- I thought we weren't eating this poison anymore". While extremely frustrating, it does help you realize how careful you need to be to get ALL gluten out of your life.

Hang in there -- it gets easier.

For now -- drink lots of water and take another look at any possible sources of contamination.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 notkuroda

notkuroda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Unfortunately, there's no timetable for how long you suffer those symptoms. Celiacs react very differently from case to case. From what I understand it's not unusual for you to become more sensitive to gluten as your body heals from years of harm.

Just so I'm not a complete downer, your body IS healing. It WILL get better. It won't be easy, but you'll get there.

Hope you feel better soon.

#4 gancan

gancan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I hope you feel better!!! :D

I have been eating gluten free since October and I have also noticed that I am EXTREMELY sensitive now if I accidentally eat something with gluten or by cross contamination. Its really tough. Even just last night I left my bag of gluten free pretzels in my family room and before I knew it my 1 year old daughter had readed in my bag with her gluten hands and took a pretzel...lesson learned.. the bag is now the property of my gluten eating family and I need to get a new one!

Don't worry - we will become pros at avoiding it in time (hopefully sooner rather than later!)
10/2012 - gluten free

#5 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Imagine you're sick with a virus, and no matter how hard your body works at killing the virus, it's always there. There's a constant fight, it never goes away, and there's a losing battle. Then, suddenly, the virus just disappears. It's gone. For a few weeks, a few months, and suddenly, this very same virus has infected you again. Your immune system has had time to recoup and at the very first sign of the virus it attacks it very effectively and efficiently.
For celiac disease, you can imagine your body in conjunction with gluten as the virus.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: